FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere Pro "Upgrade" No Longer Allows Closed Captions in Quicktime H.264

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Clabaugh
Premiere Pro "Upgrade" No Longer Allows Closed Captions in Quicktime H.264
on Apr 10, 2018 at 1:46:35 am

My apologies if this has already been discussed but a quick search on the subject did not reveal an existing thread about this.

This post is just a heads up for others who...
1. Work in Premiere Pro to deliver broadcast product
2. Deliver uploaded Quicktime Files with Embeded Closed Captions

I was working on exporting a bunch of commercials here for delivery to multiple stations. In the past few years they have started to request Quicktime (.mov) files encoded in H.264 with embedded closed captions as their preferred format, and I have delivered so multiple times for a couple years now with no problems.

So today I went to export the latest batch of spots for delivery and my preset in Premiere wouldn't work. Turns out that as part of "no longer supporting legacy 32-bit Quicktime" we can no longer create any .mov files encoded to H.264, and thus, not have up-loadable files with embedded closed captions. I can still create large ProRes format files - but those are too large to upload.

Fortunately for this round I have computers here that have not yet been "upgraded." They will not read the Premiere Pro project file in which I have finished the spots, but they WILL read an exported ProRes422(HQ) file with embedded captions, which I can then convert in to H.264 Quicktime files with captions.

This is a change in only the most recent iteration of the Premiere Pro software, so if you need this feature, do not upgrade yet!

I appreciate that we were warned that Premiere Pro was going to "drop support for legacy 32-bit Quicktime" files, but even reading the details on their site I was not prepared for the specifics of how this would impact my workflow.

I wanted to post a note here so others may be aware of this before they encounter this issue. I have my work-around, for the moment, but will need to find another solution for the next batch of commercials I must deliver.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Premiere Pro "Upgrade" No Longer Allows Closed Captions in Quicktime H.264
on Apr 10, 2018 at 2:39:05 am

You know, this is just what people who make large-capacity storage devices have been dreaming of.

Everyone who needs to stay current on Adobe software is racing out to get storage so they can transcode their stock footage in discontinued QT codecs.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Richard Clabaugh
on Apr 10, 2018 at 5:12:33 am

Just asking, Dave, what codecs are the preferred delivery file formats at your station for commercials from outside producers that are to be uploaded to traffic with embedded captions? A few years ago I used to hand deliver disks with ProRes files, but now all the outlets want uploads to traffic in H.264 or MPEG compressed formats with no side-car files and captions embedded. My only point here being, at least in my market, it still has it's value professionally, even if it is an "out dated" format. It's still very much in professional use and it's death seems a bit premature.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Apr 10, 2018 at 2:06:42 pm

H.264 hasn’t been discontinued. You can still encode to H264 in an mp4 wrapper. Does that not work with captions? Its not part of my workflow, so I don’t actually know. If it works, but you need a .mov wrapper to meet spec, you can open the mp4 in QT Pro, then “Save As”. Apologies if this has been tried already.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 10, 2018 at 3:07:52 pm

I completely agree -- dropping old QT codecs is reprehensible.

Since the spots I make on a daily basis air 2 or 3 times at most, and since first air is 10-20 minutes after completion, there's no time and no great need for captioning.

But I export completed spots in either Photo JPEG QT or high-quality H.264 using Avid in a preset set by station engineers.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Travis Wyatt
on Nov 8, 2018 at 6:12:20 pm

Hi Richard, were you able to resolve the issue of exporting video from Adobe Premier with closed captioning embedded into the file? I have only had to do this a few times and the last time (before the upgrade) I was able to export an H264 .mov which worked fine of course but now I have no idea what type of file I can export that will meet most broadcast station's specs.
Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]