FORUMS: list search recent posts

VOB and .mpeg footage jittery and "skips" when transcoded

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kell Smith
VOB and .mpeg footage jittery and "skips" when transcoded
on Apr 9, 2018 at 2:49:10 am
Last Edited By Kell Smith on Apr 9, 2018 at 2:52:48 am

VOB and .mpeg footage jittery and "skips" when transcoded. It's not catastrophic but it is noticeable. When viewing it on the DVD, it seems to "catch" a few frames here and there. I've noticed a jittery quality as well, for instance where someone is moving the camera a bit when trying to hold it, instead of being smooth it's sort of jerky. The movement overall feels fast and jittery, except the speed here is correct, but it has a subtle visual jerky and jittery quality similar to the jerkiness you would get when footage is sped up, except this footage is at 100%. If that makes sense. It's not bad enough to tank the project, just annoying .

The .mpeg (VOB) footage is SD interlaced, upper field, and although I have been experimenting with progressive exports, this version was interlaced. So it should be smoother. Frame rate is 29.97. Being encoded to Pro Res 422, 720x480. With and without max render. 100% quality. Field order kept to upper throughout.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? It may be happening in the mpeg2 export, I am going to have to go through it to see if it's in the original Quicktime master.

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
Re: VOB and .mpeg footage jittery and "skips" when transcoded
on Apr 9, 2018 at 4:31:50 am
Last Edited By Brent Marginet on Apr 9, 2018 at 4:35:12 am

Standard Def Video should be Lower First not Upper, that may be causing the issue.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more. Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
on Apr 9, 2018 at 10:13:01 am

SD tape is lower and so is the dvd
HDV converted to dvd is usually upper.
Need to check this with Mediainfo.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS2/CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Kell Smith
on Apr 9, 2018 at 12:00:12 pm
Last Edited By Kell Smith on Apr 9, 2018 at 1:42:02 pm

It's upper because 100% of the original footage was upper or progressive even though it was SD.

In the earlier thread I posted about this, Ann recommended upper, and another forum member recommended lower. Just for curiosity I decided to try Ann's suggestion because I had never done that before and wanted to see what would happen. I did not even realize before this project that you could have an upper field SD DVD. The standard is to work in lower.
I had just finished another version of the project that involved transcoding the files to lower and had some issues (long story for another time, and in retrospect, that the field change was probably not the cause of the issues).

You think it might be the fields causing this? It isn't the standard "field flicker" where it flashes and jumps. It's more of a very subtle sense where the motion has a weird, sped-up feel to it. Even though it's not actually sped up. It's hard to explain. It's very subtle, probably no one would notice it but me.

Return to posts index

Kell Smith
on Apr 10, 2018 at 11:39:48 pm

Bump...anyone still out there?
Yes I was surprised as well at the upper field. But that's what it says and there are a lot of VOBs (all from the same batch from the client), not just one file. Got the same reading as well on the demuxed m2vs.
These are NTSC.

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Apr 11, 2018 at 8:38:48 pm

I just can't help wondering if at any point in the process, there isn't something trying to play lower field first. Or if there is any kind of 3:2 pulldown on the video at some point.
Source video is upper, sequence is upper, export is upper? Have you tried lower, just for s**ts and giggles? I've had info show incorrectly before.
TC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]