FORUMS: list search recent posts

Change render codec for color correction? Good idea or bad?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kell Smith
Change render codec for color correction? Good idea or bad?
on Apr 5, 2018 at 12:36:33 pm
Last Edited By Kell Smith on Apr 5, 2018 at 12:37:55 pm

The (long) sequence is comprised of mostly SD .mpeg footage and some mp4s. It's edited, transitions and time remapping on some have been laid, and it's ready to color correct.
I was thinking of changing the render previews to Pro Res 422 (the master output codec) to give more to work with for color correcting.
Good idea? Bad? I've also read this can cause further quality loss.
It would be nice to send it to Resolve, but from what I am reading this could be a headache with transitions and time remapping.

What's the best workflow for color correction in this situation? Thanks

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Change render codec for color correction? Good idea or bad?
on Apr 5, 2018 at 1:11:00 pm

[Kell Smith] "Good idea? Bad?"

You might get better performance compared to a compressed format but you are not getting any extra information that wasn't in the file in the first place.

[Kell Smith] "It would be nice to send it to Resolve, but from what I am reading this could be a headache with transitions and time remapping."

Probably. You could try exporting an XML of your sequence and conforming that to Resolve and see how it looks.

[Kell Smith] "What's the best workflow for color correction in this situation?"

If you want to use Resolve you could export a master file from your whole sequence and use the scene cut detector in Resolve to find most of the cuts and add the rest manually.

Return to posts index

Kell Smith
on Apr 5, 2018 at 1:46:22 pm

Ok thank you
My thinking on the previews was that maybe it would introduce less noise into the file than asking a compressed file to export, use an effect, and color correct in one go while exporting.
NOt sure if this is correct though.
Resolve looks really interesting. I am trying to keep things as simple as possible but people seem to really like it so I will look into that, if that's the best way.
Is there an advantage to one method over the other?

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Apr 5, 2018 at 1:52:25 pm

"I was thinking of changing the render previews to Pro Res 422 (the master output codec) to give more to work with for color correcting. "

If you apply any effect to a clip on the timeline, Premiere is going to apply that effect to the original clip. Meaning if you had already rendered a clip to "green" status - which would use the render codec you had specified - as soon as you add the color correction to the clip (or make any change) it will go back to yellow or red, meaning the rendered preview is no longer in use and you are back to dealing with the original source again, to which your effect will be applied.

So really, just apply your effects to the clips, and don't even bother rendering previews (unless you must to get smooth playback to review the edit). Then when you EXPORT to a final delivery format, that export file is encoded straight from the original source to output format, cutting out the "middle man" thus saving a generation of loss by not using a "render preview" file.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Kell Smith
on Apr 5, 2018 at 1:59:51 pm
Last Edited By Kell Smith on Apr 5, 2018 at 2:00:56 pm

Great, thank you.
As noted before, I know people love Resolve and that seems to be pretty standard. Is there any advantage to going over there now or will it slow me down since the effects and transitions are laid in? I do plan to use that in future projects. This is something that just needs to get finished since it's behind schedule.
Also, I've read that "use previews" can result in a generational loss, is that correct? It seems like it wouldn't.
Since I'm already in Pro Res render mode, I can just render as I go and use previews to cut export time. Anything I need to know about that, any reason not to do that?
Thanks everyone for responding so quickly.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Apr 5, 2018 at 2:05:37 pm

[Kell Smith] "Is there any advantage to going over there now or will it slow me down since the effects and transitions are laid in?"

The important question is: do you know how to use Resolve? Do you think you can conform the edit so it matches and you can use the tools to do what you need to do in the time you have?

[Kell Smith] "Also, I've read that "use previews" can result in a generational loss, is that correct?"

If your preview format is more compressed than the original then you're getting generation loss. If you use prores as a preview format in the same resolution as your sequence then your previews are fine for exporting with.

Return to posts index

Kell Smith
on Apr 5, 2018 at 2:13:24 pm
Last Edited By Kell Smith on Apr 5, 2018 at 2:14:46 pm

The sequence is actually more compressed - mostly VOBs and mp4s and so on. So I am exporting to Pro Res as a master.

Regarding Resolve, yes good point, I don't know Resolve at all. But do have a base of understanding that would allow me to pick it up quickly. But you're right, it would probably slow this down.
Unless there's a specific reason to take this project into Resolve, it's probably best to wait until the next project and then prepare the sequence accordingly.
I do have Speedgrade but have never used it - would it have the same issue with transitions, effects and such?
The color correction needing to be done in this is fairly straightforward - levels correcting, a few color cast corrections. Should be fine in Premiere.

Does CS6 use LUTs? I'm guessing, no?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]