FORUMS: list search recent posts

Captions Won't Show Up in Quicktime

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chad Michaels
Captions Won't Show Up in Quicktime
on Apr 3, 2018 at 6:49:16 pm

I have tried every single possible format for my captions, and they still won't show up in Quicktime, nor does the option to show captions in quicktime under the view tab.

I have embedded them, I have tried every type of sidecar file, I have burned them in, and I have tried both CEA-608 and CEA-708 with each of those format options. Quicktime documentation asks for CEA-608.

I have posted this question in the quicktime forums as well, but if the burned in captions are not showing up, is it a problem with Adobe Premiere because they should be burned into the video, like a title or something similar. What is going on?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Captions Won't Show Up in Quicktime
on Apr 3, 2018 at 8:54:32 pm

Are we talking open or closed captions? Closed captions won't show up in QT.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Apr 3, 2018 at 8:56:27 pm

Quicktime cannot playback Broadcast Compliant Closed Captioning only Subtitles and that's only available in QT-7. There's some kind of text type CC that will playback in QT but I haven't done that in so many years so I can't remember what they are anymore because it's not accepted by any Broadcaster or Distributor.

Closed Captioning is not burned into the Video, it's Ancillary Data in the Case of CEA-608/708 that's embedded in the QT File. You need to use something like Telestream Switch or bring them back into Premiere or Avid and try to get it to decode them. I'm not even sure if Premiere can Embed Broadcast compliant CC into QT Files. I always use Mac Caption to do that the few time that I've had to. Most Broadcasters want 50mb - OP-1a - MXF Files with embedded CC.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more. Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Apr 4, 2018 at 9:00:05 pm

I believe VLC player can properly display closed captions.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Apr 4, 2018 at 9:15:53 pm

VLC doesn't decode embedded Ancillary CC only Subtitles.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more. Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Apr 9, 2018 at 6:50:52 pm

Very confusing post.

But... A QT movie can contain and play closed captions, you have to make sure that the viewing is turned on. A little different in QT 7and 10 but they both have view Closed Captions.

In premiere if you have 708 or 608 captions in your timeline and you export with captions embedded, QT player, both 7 and 10, will playback closed captions. I have even tried it on a Windows system with QT7. Note it takes about 5 seconds for captions to start being decoded so if you have captions early on they may not appear.

If you are choosing Burn-in on export and you are not seeing any captions then it sounds like there is something wrong with the captions themselves. How are you making and bringing the source caption file?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]