FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best approach to progressive clips (no effects) in interlaced timeline? Still unclear.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kell Smith
Best approach to progressive clips (no effects) in interlaced timeline? Still unclear.
on Mar 31, 2018 at 12:17:54 pm

Slightly different question than last thread, so I'll give it its own thread
Hey can anyone out there confirm the best way to approach progressive clips, without effects like time remap, on an interlaced timeline going to DVD? I am still unclear on that. Thank you

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Best approach to progressive clips (no effects) in interlaced timeline? Still unclear.
on Mar 31, 2018 at 3:32:38 pm

25 or 29.97fps?
if you have 24fps footage, you can slow to 23.976 then add 3:2 pulldown. this can be done automatically by placing a 23.976 in a 29.97 premiere timeline or any standard dvd encoding program. if you have 30fps progressive, you can change it to 29.97 and each frame will become a field. same if you have any 29.97 progressive.

if you have a non-standard fps multiple more than 4% fps difference and not compatible(23.976) with 3:2 pulldown, you can use optical interpolation to create new frames so it doesn't speed up or become jerky. premiere has one built in. twixtor is another one. without interpolation, you'd have to maintain the audio pitch if changing audio speed.(i'd use audition to maintain pitch)

Return to posts index

Kell Smith
Re: Best approach to progressive clips (no effects) in interlaced timeline? Still unclear.
on Mar 31, 2018 at 4:25:27 pm
Last Edited By Kell Smith on Mar 31, 2018 at 5:04:28 pm

The progressive (previously deinterlaced by someone else) footage is 29.97, being added into a timeline is 29.97 interlaced. Pretty much all SD, with the majority of clips being 29.97 interlaced.

I'm not clear whether they need to be
adjusted in "interpret footage,"
flagged as "always deinterlace" in field options (will this further degrade the clip?), or
nested in from another sequence.
A workflow has also been suggested with different timelines.

The timeline appears to be "interlacing" progressive clips.

On a related note, the edit cuts are made (so I don't want to have to recut these clips), but I'm noticing that "interpret footage" does not seem to update in the timeline, even when pasted into a new timeline.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Mar 31, 2018 at 6:27:56 pm

if you could get the original footage before it was deinterlaced, it would be slightly
higher quality as the dvd will pass-through the interlacing as a bob-weave in the playback device.

if you right click always deinterlace if its progressive, it will lose quality.(if it was interlaced, you lose quality here as it isn't passed through into an interlaced sequence)

in interpret footage section, if its set to interlaced when in fact, its progressive,
it will lose quality.(if it was interlaced and you set to progressive, you lose quality here as it isn't passed through

finaly,
put all your footage into an interlaced lower field timeline. then export ntsc lower field interlaced mpeg2 dvd compliant.

Return to posts index

Kell Smith
on Apr 3, 2018 at 2:01:30 pm

Thanks Chris
Sorry it took me awhile to post back
I am testing these right now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]