FORUMS: list search recent posts

adding time remapping to a compressed, progressive clip in an interlaced timeline

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kell Smith
adding time remapping to a compressed, progressive clip in an interlaced timeline
on Mar 26, 2018 at 2:13:42 am
Last Edited By Kell Smith on Mar 26, 2018 at 2:59:29 am

The clip is 1280x720 progressive, mp4, video stream AVC. Mediainfo lists the frame rate as 29.805 fps ??. Timeline is 29.97i with the majority of the clips being interlaced SD. Time remapping is at 30%.

What's the best way to handle this?
-Interpret footage
-field options>always deinterlace, or
-render out to pro res and then apply time remapping in a later step.

when exporting, I am seeing interlace lines on my monitor (even though the clip is set to "always deinterlace"), which isn't a surprise since the project is interlaced. I have not burned a test DVD yet.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: adding time remapping to a compressed, progressive clip in an interlaced timeline
on Mar 26, 2018 at 8:24:56 pm

How are you checking the frame rate? Don't use Quicktime viewer! It's notorious for being wrong.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kell Smith
Re: adding time remapping to a compressed, progressive clip in an interlaced timeline
on Mar 27, 2018 at 1:04:10 am
Last Edited By Kell Smith on Mar 27, 2018 at 1:19:01 pm

Ha! MediaInfo.

Adobe says,"

Always Deinterlace
Converts interlaced fields into non-interlaced, progressive-scan, frames. This option is useful for clips you want to play in slow motion or in freeze frame. This option discards one field (retaining the dominant field specified for the project in the Fields setting in the New Sequence dialog box, General tab). Then it interpolates the missing lines based on the lines of the dominant field."

So I"m thinking for the motion clips, best to render out to Pro Res (they're not very long) so as to avoid the compression, then choose "always deinterlace" in the field options, then apply the effect?

In a related question though, I'm still not clear how "always deinterlace" affects the progressive clips which were pasted into my interlaced timeline. Is this the best route for handling them? How best to handle them so they are not further degraded? You could "interlace consecutive frames," but isn't that already happening when they are added to the interlaced timeline?

I did see some interlacing lines on them on the DVD test that was made from this timeline. There are no field settings applied as of yet.

I wish Premiere had a field step so as to be able to see what's going on instead of workarounds. How can they not have a field step? Grrr.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 27, 2018 at 6:16:28 pm

Yeah, I think a transcode may be in order. 1280x720 SHOULD be 59.94 fps, but I guess that doesn't hold in this case. It may even be variable frame rate video. We don't know its provenance.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kell Smith
on Mar 27, 2018 at 7:05:44 pm

Thank you Dave.
=)

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
on Mar 27, 2018 at 7:54:45 pm

Nest clip and it will take on the properties of the timeline.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS2/CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Kell Smith
on Mar 27, 2018 at 11:06:21 pm
Last Edited By Kell Smith on Mar 27, 2018 at 11:09:02 pm

Thank you Ann. Just to clarify, you are referring to the progressive clips in the interlaced timeline? I should go to the timeline they were created in (from matching a clip), nest them in that timeline, and drag the nested clip into the interlaced timeline?
Rather than pasting the clips directly in and applying a field effect?

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
on Mar 28, 2018 at 3:22:34 pm

You have a interlaced timeline, drop the progressive clip into that, nest clip, add time remapping to that nest.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS2/CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Kell Smith
on Mar 28, 2018 at 7:42:36 pm

Ok.
Is that also the best way to handle clips that are not getting time remapping? Just regular progressive clips in an interlaced timeline?

Return to posts index

Kell Smith
on Mar 31, 2018 at 2:08:46 am
Last Edited By Kell Smith on Mar 31, 2018 at 12:18:51 pm

question has evolved, so I started a new thread =)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]