FORUMS: list search recent posts

Drop Shadow and Opacity Renderings Issues

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Jason
Drop Shadow and Opacity Renderings Issues
on Mar 21, 2018 at 10:08:50 am

I have 4 compiled videos that I need to deliver. These are product comparison videos with 2 products side by side in each. The footage is standard HD, and each video contains several text layers (created in Premiere), an After Effects rendered counter, and a transparent black solid to make a legal disclaimer pop. All text layers have drop shadows. The videos look great in Premiere, but when I go to export (h264, mp4) all of the drop shadows and the transparent solid take a hit. I was able to counteract this and crank up the opacity on the solid from 50 to 75%, but I can’t fix the drop shadows. The best solution I’ve found is to turn of Maximum Render Settings which fixes all of these problems, but the video quality takes a slight but noticeable hit. This is all unexpected and I need to deliver these ASAP, but I feel like there might be an easy fix I’m overlooking. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
Re: Drop Shadow and Opacity Renderings Issues
on Mar 21, 2018 at 4:05:41 pm

A couple of things for your consideration:

Two of the most misunderstood settings in the PPro render dialog are "Max Render Quality" and "Use Rendered Files".

The first (Max Render Quality) exists primarily for timelines with up-scaled or down-scaled video. For example, do you have a 720P timeline with 1080 and/or SD 480 footage? Then checking this setting will help the finished product. Otherwise, it has little benefit.

The second (Use Rendered Files) will speed your finish render time up IF you rendered a lot of your timeline. But - these renders are not very high quality (unless you changed the settings for your particular project, and it also isn't usually recommended, except for perhaps a pre-final approval copy or something of that ilk.

One last thing - what are your export settings, particularly your bandwidth settings (minimum/maximum)? If set too low, you are choking an already heavily compressed codec. I would suspect this as the actual root reason you see a perceived difference with the "Max Render Quality" setting on or off.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2017.1 (as of 8/2017)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from UHD MP4, HD MP4, and HD P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]