FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quick transitions, timeline scrolling, and track selection

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Mars
Quick transitions, timeline scrolling, and track selection
on Mar 20, 2018 at 8:01:41 pm
Last Edited By Nick Mars on Mar 21, 2018 at 4:15:11 am

Hi all! Avid editor trying to learn premiere for freelance projects, trying to troubleshoot problems on my own but these are driving me up a wall.

First, is there any way to change how my mouse interacts with the timeline, so that I can move my cursor on the timeline without having to aim the cursor on the timebar at the top? Its a little thing, but killing me. To try and be more clear, Premiere essentially defaults to the Avid 'Segment' mode. I would like my mouse to behave with the timeline more akin to the default Avid 'Source/Record' mode. Which Premiere mode am I looking for, and where can I find those? I tried digging through the keyboard shortcuts window but could only find trim as an alternative mode.

Second, quickly adding a transition. In Avid there is the 'Quick transition' box, which I use constantly for quick fades in video and audio. I thought I had found the right setting in Premiere with "Apply default video transition" (or audio etc) but when I hit my keyboard command nothing happens. What am I missing here? Can I not apply it at the end of a clip into filler? Do I need something specific selected?

Third, track selection. In Avid, if I have Source Track 4 currently active in the timeline, with zero active tracks on the Record side, and I activate Record Track 1, the source will automatically move to Track 1 as well - this way I can use the keyboard (I have Video 1-8, Audio 1-8, and toggle all for both set to keys) to quickly overwrite clips onto th exact track I want with ZERO clicking. Now, I can not figure out how to snap the Source track in a similar way on Premiere. I have to manually click the exact track I want on the Source side, regardless of what Record tracks I have active. Is there anyway to replicate this snapping behavior Avid has?

Bonus question: Why can I not keyboard shortcut a command for unlinking audio from video? Is it called something different than Unlink? Is there some way I can manually set keyboard shortcuts for something like that (in the right click menu of a clip) without using that built in search in the Keyboard menu?

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I hope it was all clear - I'm a self taught editor, and I find I often misuse the technical names for tools when trying to describe problems. Sorry. Also as a sidenote, I'm aware that certain things - such as my track selection problem - are intentional design implements for Premiere. I know many people love these functions, this is all personal preference. I just really really hate having to aim and click at things, I find it irrevocably slows my workflow.

Thank you!

P.S. - "Match Frame" opening a version of your clip that changes the In/Out points you have already used on your timeline when you change them in the source monitor makes no sense to me. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of Match Frame? Why is my new workflow for matching back to a source (in order to use more parts of the clip in a later part of my sequence) now have to be 'Match Frame -> Reverse Match Frame -> Load in source monitor. Thats crazy!!

Setup: Macbook Pro Retina (Mid 2012), 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M Graphics Card. Dual 4TB mirrored external HDs, Apple Thunderbolt Display, Dell U2713H Display, Yamaha HS5 Studio Monitors through a Scarlett Focusrite 616, Wacom Intuos Tablet and a Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard

Return to posts index

Kell Smith
Re: Quick transitions, timeline scrolling, and track selection
on Mar 22, 2018 at 6:45:22 pm

Regarding transitions,here's how I did it.

Works fine so far as long as the CTI is directly on the transition point.
For this, I mapped "go to next edit point" (under the "application" heading in kb commands) to Opt-page down (which is actually function-option-down arrow) on my macbook.

(under "Sequence" heading in keyboard commands)
Apply video transition \
Apply audio transition Shift D
Apply default transitions to selection Cmd shift D

Return to posts index

Kell Smith
on Mar 23, 2018 at 2:51:47 am

I was also able to map unlink (mapped it to option-L) in the keyboard shortcuts. Typing "unlink" brought up application>clip>unlink. Worked fine with the clip selected in the timeline.

Return to posts index

Kell Smith
on Mar 23, 2018 at 2:55:51 am

I was also able to map unlink (mapped it to option-L) in the keyboard shortcuts. Typing "unlink" brought up application>clip>unlink. Worked fine with the clip selected in the timeline.

Also, don't know if there's a way to keep the mouse from interacting with the timeline rather than locking it (maybe someone else knows). However as long as no clips were selected, the CTI moves fine in the space directly above the clip. Of course I only have two tracks going so it's might be a bigger deal if there were lots of them.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]