FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mixing field dominance in timeline best practice?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kell Smith
Mixing field dominance in timeline best practice?
on Mar 19, 2018 at 4:30:52 am

I have a mix of all SD upper and lower field dominance, also some progressive.
Looks like I can change the field order of clips on the timeline, or also possibly export two timelines, one for the progressive and one for the interlaced, then combine them in encore.

I was planning to encode to DV50 but am open to suggestions.
It would not be practical to transcode the footage outside of Premiere - can be done but a royal pain because it's a lot of footage.
Many of these are from VOBs upper field and I prefer to leave them interlaced bc the footage is not the greatest.
It will be going to an Encore DVD.

What is the best practice?
Thank you in advance.

Return to posts index

David Baud
Re: Mixing field dominance in timeline best practice?
on Mar 19, 2018 at 6:08:32 am

Do you have to mix in the same timeline progressive clips, odd & even interlaced clips?

You could first cut your program by associating one track per kind of footage (ie track 1 = progressive, track 2 = odd, track 3 = even). Once you are done cutting you could copy and paste each track in a new sequence with the right settings for each kind of clips. Then do the appropriate conversion for your final program.

Admittedly not the most straightforward way of editing, but will avoid to have to convert all your footage before end.

David Baud
Colorist & Finishing Editor
KOSMOS PRODUCTIONS
Denver - Paris
http://www.kosmos-productions.com

Return to posts index

Kell Smith
on Mar 19, 2018 at 11:36:59 am

I can do that. SInce they are grouped that way and not mixed throughout, it should be ok.
I have already cut some of each timeline. Is it ok to cut and paste those into one that matches, or is it necessary to re-cut?.

Is there a reason that this is a better practice than adjusting the field options on the clips, in one timeline? Or is either way of working ok?

Return to posts index

David Baud
on Mar 19, 2018 at 3:26:17 pm

It is hard to tell not looking at your timeline.

Knowing you want to output for DVD (NTSC I am guessing?), if you'd like to keep interlaced, you would want to go "lower field first"... this is how I would setup your main timeline. You can copy and paste clips from one timeline to another even so the settings are different. You may have to adjust your cut (especially with motion). You can select all the same type of clips at once and then select field options to switch the interlaced settings.

I hope this helps,

David Baud
Colorist & Finishing Editor
KOSMOS PRODUCTIONS
Denver - Paris
http://www.kosmos-productions.com

Return to posts index

Kell Smith
on Mar 19, 2018 at 4:17:45 pm
Last Edited By Kell Smith on Mar 19, 2018 at 11:02:50 pm

Right now there are some progressive mp4s and some VOBs (changed to mpeg) in a dv25 ntsc timeline. I did plan to export in DV50, so I need to revisit those source settings.
Almost all of the clips are upper field first although I'm pretty sure the DV25/50 is lower field.
I was thinking of skipping DV entirely and outputting in an upper field SD codec? Then letting it convert to lower field for the mpeg2. It sounds like you are recommending staying in DV going to DVD instead though.

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
on Mar 19, 2018 at 9:31:45 pm

Drop everything in a sequence that is the same as the most used field order.
If clips give issues change field order in the Project window or Field Options in the timeline.
If all is going to dvd export to mpeg-2 dvd with the same field order.

On a side note: Premiere will not let you export to dv-avi with upper field.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS2/CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Kell Smith
on Mar 19, 2018 at 10:27:53 pm
Last Edited By Kell Smith on Mar 19, 2018 at 11:07:50 pm

Some questions:

1) If upper field, what's a good sd mastering codec? I am going to output this a few different ways.

2) If it's exported upper field first, will that screw me up with a previously created Encore project?

I thought NTSC mpeg 2 DVD was always lower field so it's surprising to have these DVDs that are upper field to pull footage from. I assumed the proper way was to output to LFF.

----------
David I think I read your posts wrong - am going back over them again as well.
So two completely different recommendations here. One lower, one upper field.

Haven't edited in Premiere for awhile. It's infuriating that Premiere won't let you change sequence settings once created.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]