FORUMS: list search recent posts

iMac Pro exports hardly blowing me away...

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Bond
iMac Pro exports hardly blowing me away...
on Mar 15, 2018 at 5:11:04 pm

Has anyone else used an iMac Pro with Premiere and found the exports to be a ‘bit’ faster but hardly earth shattering?

Just wondering if I’m missing some settings or if I’m right to be underwhelmed?

Cheers

Alex

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: iMac Pro exports hardly blowing me away...
on Mar 15, 2018 at 5:23:51 pm

What are you getting and what are you expecting? Source footage format/resolution/fps, sequence settings and exact export settings would help in troubleshooting.

Return to posts index

Alex Bond
on Mar 15, 2018 at 6:07:30 pm

I’m getting the same speeds exporting films on the iMac as I am on an old laptop.

Same conditions, same project, same footage.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Mar 15, 2018 at 6:44:59 pm

As you've still not given any more information about this then I'll have to guess: Your project is probably using enough resources to do what it needs to do and using a new computer isn't making it faster because it's already going as fast as it can on the older computer.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Mar 16, 2018 at 9:37:17 pm

I had an old MacPro tower and the new iMac Pro is much faster. Overall great experience except less than two months in it literally died. Dead. Like dead. Apple store guys were flabbergasted. Bummer I lost all my installs and configurations including monitor profiles etc since I had just finished building it up with all the goodies and hadn't done my first backup.....lesson learned!

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Alex Bond
on Mar 19, 2018 at 6:56:20 am

I’ve not added more details because I’ve not noticed huge improvements on anything. Though timeline seems faster in some aspects, as soon as I add a colour grade to 4K footage it won’t play at all in full resolution.

Warp stabiliser takes the same time as an older mid-2011 i7 machine and exporting to pro res files actually took LESS time on an old MacBook Pro.

I am seeing reports that Adobe does not support multi core machines - if this is true then the iMac pro is a pointless buy. If FCPX can support then I will be switching to that. Or selling the iMac pro. As it is I’m down 6k and not impressed with Apple or Adobe...

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Mar 19, 2018 at 10:09:53 am

[Alex Bond] "I’ve not added more details because I’ve not noticed huge improvements on anything."

And we can't help on anything if you won't/can't tell us the necessary information to troubleshoot the issue. It's the same thing if you take your car to the garage and only say "it's broken".

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Mar 19, 2018 at 2:55:03 pm

Off of the same HDD? What is your original 4k footage running off of? Sounds like it could be your storage, since you say everything is the same except the computer. But, need details/specs.
TC

Return to posts index

Alex Bond
on Apr 9, 2018 at 4:11:35 pm

Apologies, I didn't realise this thread was getting responses - I thought I'd checked the 'email me' button but apparently not.

Ok, so it's an iMac Pro (2017) as below.

From what I am reading on the subject it appears that Adobe are not supporting multi core processors so if you buy a faster processor machine but with less cores it can conceivably be faster than a multi core iMac pro. Given that many manufacturers are favouring the multi core option this doesn't seem to be a great feature.

3 GHz Intel Xeon W
64 GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB

Model Name: iMac Pro
Model Identifier: iMacPro1,1
Processor Name: Intel Xeon W
Processor Speed: 3 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 10
L2 Cache (per Core): 1 MB
L3 Cache: 13.8 MB
Memory: 64 GB