Optimize & upgrade storage for editing

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carlen Cyphers
Optimize & upgrade storage for editing
on Mar 10, 2018 at 3:40:39 am

Hey guys,

Please see here for current desktop hardware: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/bcnnTW

I originally built this PC for gaming about 2 1/2 years ago. At the time it was top of the line for gaming. Ironically I really don't game. I have quickly realized the current storage setup (one 250GB SSD and one 1TB HD) is not ideal for video editing.

I am really hoping someone here can help me get this PC updated with a better storage solution/setup for video editing. I would prefer not to spend $1000 just upgrading my storage setup, but I can stomach something more reasonable.

Is it even worth updating this PC? Can it be a half way decent editing rig with just some storage optimization/upgrades?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Optimize & upgrade storage for editing
on Mar 10, 2018 at 6:28:37 am
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Mar 10, 2018 at 7:05:09 am

break it down into what you want to do. the blue is @50MB/sec r/w speed so fast enough for small proxies. an older 4 core won't be able to do much except proxies anyways. the 980TI is not bad. I wouldn't invest in tons of super fast hard drives until I had a faster processor. It's just a waste of money. Instead, proxy all your stuff and get a larger cheap evo, or raid some cheap blue's. RED at 1/16th scale may do realtime playback, and only 5ghz can playback h.264 stuff anyways.

to put it in perspective, even the $1,000 processors cannot do realtime playback any better than the 7700k I-7.
That's the sweet spot for playback. The faster clocks and more cores are just faster at exporting. According to the chart, you can playback up to 8 video stream simultaneously with RED with an EVO. There's just no data backup from RAID.

Return to posts index

Carlen Cyphers
on Mar 10, 2018 at 2:48:21 pm

I appreciate the response, and I hope my response doesn't come off rude here...

I'm simply a hobbyist. I don't do this for a living. I make short drone videos and vacation videos for my family. If I can upgrade some of the storage on my computer for a decent cost and make it more suited for editing then I don't mind, but I simply don't have $3,000-$5000 a year to upgrade to the newest technology. I just can't do it.

I understand my processor is an i5-6600K, but I can't upgrade to a newer i7 due to the change in socket. I would have to overhaul my entire system. The i7-6700K is a very marginal upgrade and wouldn't be worth the cost. I've already talked to several folks about this.

I'm not completely sure I understand your comment about the 980TI is not too bad. It is still one of the best graphics cards on the market! The 1080TI is marginally better, and sure isn't worth spends hundreds of dollars to upgrade to.

So if I understand you correctly, your opinion is to maybe just add a 3rd SSD (say 500GB) to keep all my media on?

So it would look like this:

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - C Drive: Programs and Applications
New SSD (500GB) - D Drive: Current Media Projects for Premiere Pro
WD Blue 1TB HDD - E Drive: General Storage (documents, photos, archived Premiere Pro Projects)

Is this correct? If so, this seems like a reasonable upgrade I could do.

Return to posts index

Carlen Cyphers
on Mar 10, 2018 at 2:51:49 pm

I could go with an M.2 SSD such as this as well:

https://www.frys.com/product/9063597?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 10, 2018 at 4:42:50 pm

500 gigs may sound like a lot right now, but I guaran-damn-tee that you'll be amazed how quickly it'll fill up!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Carlen Cyphers
on Mar 10, 2018 at 5:04:27 pm

Well I was thinking of the M.2 500GB for current projects and then I would just offload them to my 1TB or maybe to a 3+ TB HD later if needed.

Return to posts index

Carlen Cyphers
on Mar 10, 2018 at 5:17:07 pm

Alright guys. So I think I am going to do the following:

1. Leave my current Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD for OS and Software
2. Buy an M.2 SSD like the Samsung 960 EVO 500GB for Project & Source Media, Cache, and Scratch
3. Leave my current WD Blue 1TB HDD for general storage - all archived Premiere Pro projects will go on this for now. I can upgrade to more storage space later.

I know it is deal to have 3 SSDs, but I can't swing that right now.

Does this sound like a decent plan?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Mar 10, 2018 at 6:24:56 pm

your money would go a lot farther with a 860 evo. 960 evo is overkill. you're not going to see a speed difference with the 960 evo. h264 is interframe compressed and your cpu will bottleneck long before your hard drive will.

As a matter of fact, drone footage is 100mbps. divide by 8 to get MB/sec is only 12.5 MB/sec. You're currently not even saturating your platter drive! If you want smooth editing, you need to transcode to cineform first. it is intraframe and less compressed but needs a faster hd because of the larger file size. But if you feel better with a m.2, its your money.

a 1TB 960 evo is $449
a 1TB 860 evo is $289

Return to posts index

Carlen Cyphers
on Mar 10, 2018 at 6:49:31 pm

Yea I am definitely going to start transcoding to Cineform on the front end.

Why 1TB though? It is just used for CURRENT Project & Source Media, Cache, and Scratch. When the project is done I will through it on a normal HD. Wouldn't 500GB be more than enough?

I'm all about saving money, so if you think the 860 is the better way to go then by all means I can go that route.

I could even do a setup like this:

1. Samsung 850 EVO 250GB: OS and Applications
2. Samsung 860 or 960 M.2 500GB ($170 for 860 or $230 for 960): Project & Source Media
3. Samsung 860 EVO SSD 500GB ($150): Media Cache & Scratch
4. WD Blue 1TB HDD: For general storage and archived media projects

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Mar 10, 2018 at 9:41:33 pm

there is no speed advantage to breaking up the Project & Source Media and Media Cache & Scratch into 2 SSD's, although down the road you will probably run out of hd space from media cache and its cheaper than a 4TB SDD.

If you have a small amount of footage, you can start off with one SSD and buy another when needed. delete the cache from older projects and move the data to a WD blue.

Exporting will be cpu bottlenecked anyway so you can save export space from not using SDD there and using slow platter for exports.

none of this takes into account data backups. You should have more backups of drives in difference physical locations.

Return to posts index

Carlen Cyphers
on Mar 11, 2018 at 12:31:56 am

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]