FORUMS: list search recent posts

Should I be editing current projects on my Solid State Drive (250GB) or Hard Drive (1TB)?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carlen Cyphers
Should I be editing current projects on my Solid State Drive (250GB) or Hard Drive (1TB)?
on Mar 9, 2018 at 3:29:39 pm

Hey guys,

I am new to video editing and trying to learn best practices. I have a Samsung EVO 850 SSD (250GB), which is what all my programs are installed on due to the performance benefits, but I generally keep documents, photos, videos, etc on my 1TB Hard Drive.

However, I am wondering if there is any performance benefit to placing my video files and current Premiere Pro projects on the SSD for editing? I can always place them on my Hard Drive after I am done with them to free up space on the SSD.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

greg janza
Re: Should I be editing current projects on my Solid State Drive (250GB) or Hard Drive (1TB)?
on Mar 9, 2018 at 4:44:40 pm

The ideal setup for editing:

SSD for OS and programs
secondary SSD for renders and cache
external raid for media or M.2 NVMe

Your Premiere projects and all associated media should be on the external raid/m.2

And there needs to be a backup system for the raid.

Windows 10 Pro
i7-5820k CPU
Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
Adobe CC 2018
Renders/cache: Samsung SSD 950 Pro x2 in Raid 0
Media: Samsung SSD 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 2280
Media: OWC Thunderbay 4 x 2 Raid 0 mirrored with FreeFileSync

Return to posts index

Carlen Cyphers
Re: Should I be editing current projects on my Solid State Drive (250GB) or Hard Drive (1TB)?
on Mar 9, 2018 at 5:02:25 pm

Interesting, thanks for the feedback. Not in a position right now to overhaul my system so I guess I will keep my media on the HD for now and the program itself on the SSD.

Return to posts index

Eric Merklein
on Mar 9, 2018 at 5:57:42 pm

Hi Carlen.

When I was editing at home last month, I brought my project and media with me on a 1TB SSD.

Even though I transferred everything to my 4TB Raid, I accidentally edited the entire 90 minute video from the SSD over the weekend.

It worked GREAT. It was lightning fast and no problems running Premiere Pro.

If you do have to edit from an SSD, you MUST back up everything, and save your project to another drive every day. If the SSD dies - well lets not talks about that.

Enjoy ☺

Eric

Return to posts index

Carlen Cyphers
on Mar 9, 2018 at 6:02:02 pm

Thanks.

I guess what I was really looking for was how to setup things up with my current setup, which is an 250GB SSD and a 1TB HD. I'm not in a position right now to reconfigure my current system so I need to make do with what I have.

I guess for now I will continue to edit my current projects/footage through my SSD and then copy it over to my HD later.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]