FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio only plays through stereo devices such as headphones and will not play through mono smart phone speakers

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Stewart
Audio only plays through stereo devices such as headphones and will not play through mono smart phone speakers
on Mar 5, 2018 at 9:45:50 am

I have been totally puzzled by this one. I did this volunteer charity piece a few days ago and was hoping to get it turned around quickly so that it would still be relevant and could be shared on social media but I have been caught out by a technical problem with the audio that I have never come across before. I am hoping that somebody from the community can help me solve it.

The audio only plays through stereo speakers and not mono ones such as smart devices. You can hear what I mean if you play it from your phone and then stick your headphones in as it is playing and you will hear how one of the tracks starts distorting. This is the track that I put all the conversation audio on so it then sounds like a bunch of interviews with the audio turned off with only music playing. This is not what I want so if somebody could help me to solve this I would be very grateful.

Do I need to turn both tracks to mono to get it to work? Or rebuild everything because the project is corrupt maybe?

Video on Youtube:

Return to posts index

Roger Averdahl
Re: Audio only plays through stereo devices such as headphones and will not play through mono smart phone speakers
on Mar 5, 2018 at 1:07:35 pm

Your audio is out of phase and the result is that it playback on stereo devices but two of phase audio channels cancel out each other when downmixed to mono and thus the audio almost dissapear or just dissapear on mono devices. A trained ear can hear on a stereo device that the audio is out of phase, lack of bottom end, etc.

I downloaded the video from YouTube and imported the audio in Adobe Audition and could also clearly see at the audio waves that the audio is out of phase. To fix it, export the audio from you project excluding the music. Import the file into Adobe Audition and open it and press Ctrl+Shift+L. When you click Ctrl+Shift+L the Left audio wave goes gray and is muted and is to be expected. Now, go to the Effects menu and choose Invert. Press Ctrl+Shift+L once again. Save the audio and import it into Premiere Pro, place it on the timeline and mute the original audio on Audio 1. Export the video and now it will playback as expected on stereo and mono devices. ☺

Then, check your cameras mic. It seems that the cable is wired wrong.

Return to posts index

Jack Stewart
Re: Audio only plays through stereo devices such as headphones and will not play through mono smart phone speakers
on Mar 5, 2018 at 6:02:04 pm

Thank you ever so much for your help. This has worked perfectly and taught me something new to watch out for in future.

Return to posts index

Roger Averdahl
on Mar 6, 2018 at 12:08:42 pm

Great that it worked for you! ☺

It can be solved with Premiere Pro´s own Invert filter, but not when the audio is placed as stereo on the timeline.

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Mar 6, 2018 at 6:35:04 pm

Roger, couldn't you do this in Premiere by duplicating the Stereo track, doing a Modify > Audio Channels with two left channels on one instance and two right channels on the other, panning appropriately, and then applying the Invert effect to the offending channel? Just curious. I hate roundtripping if I don't have to.

Return to posts index

Roger Averdahl
on Mar 6, 2018 at 7:16:17 pm

couldn't you do this in Premiere by duplicating the Stereo track, doing a Modify > Audio Channels with two left channels on one instance and two right channels on the other, panning appropriately, and then applying the Invert effect to the offending channel? Just curious.

Blaise, that works as well.

The best thing imho is to use Modify > Audio Channels and set the stereo clip to mono before the clips are placed on the timeline. Use the Audio Mixer and pan left to left and right to right and add the Invert filter to one of the channels. Changing audio channels when the edit is done can be done but it is easy do get lost.

No method is wrong, i personally prefer to use the mono method, but then one must know beforehand that the audio is out of phase and thats not always the issue. If the latter is the case your method is superior! ☺

The best thing is to fix the audio chain before recording, but sometimes one discover those issues after the fact. (Been there...)

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Mar 6, 2018 at 6:36:06 pm
Last Edited By Blaise Douros on Mar 6, 2018 at 6:38:05 pm

Edit: oops, I double-posted.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Mar 6, 2018 at 7:33:43 pm

I have yet another fix to be done in Premiere. If you have a stereo track with the inverted channels, quite simply apply either the FILL LEFT or the FILL RIGHT audio effect. This will put the same audio onto both channels. Done. No messing with audio mixer or Audition or anything.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Roger Averdahl
on Mar 6, 2018 at 7:41:25 pm

Jeff, but if you have recorded stereo or two lavaliers Fill Left/Fill Right ruin everything and will not solve the issue.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Mar 6, 2018 at 7:57:24 pm

My understanding of this phase-inversion business is that it only happens when the SAME audio is on both channels, but with one channel inverted. If the left and right channel content were different, then they would not cancel one another out since they would not be exact opposites.

Therefore the FILL effect is not causing harm since audio is already mono. Don't use it if the solution doesn't suit your needs. Just offering an option that works for a lot of users in the same situation.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Mar 6, 2018 at 8:07:53 pm

It can still create problems if two closely-placed mics, one of which is out of phase, are picking up the same audio.

Return to posts index

Roger Averdahl
on Mar 6, 2018 at 8:56:47 pm

If the left and right channel content were different, then they would not cancel one another out since they would not be exact opposites.
In short: Wrong. The difference we are talking about here is milliseconds and that´s why it is easy to get issues caused by out of phase audio. Out of phase occur even if the audio is not 100% inverted.

Recording a concert in stereo can sometimes be tricky due to this very issue. Or, recoring anything in stereo is tricky. It´s not an issue invented out of the blue.

Watch this video, "Audio Phase: Why You Need To Pay Attention To This":

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]