FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere Pro CC files to Pro Tools: Time code problems

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Parker
Premiere Pro CC files to Pro Tools: Time code problems
on Mar 4, 2018 at 7:49:52 pm

New to the game, and I have what could be a serious problem. Real world project, for broadcast. I have multiple eyes on me and the clock is ticking. I thought I had done all my heavy lifting. The learning curve was steep, managing multiple cameras, red files, sound files ect. Now at the end I'm currently i'm attempting to share collaborative files with a sound editor, and I am presently panicked. Any help would be appreciated.

PROBLEM # 1: The Video file using the DNxHD codec was unusable to the audio editor, as I was told there was no audio guide track.

AS A FIX: I rendered the video via QuickTime. I download a free version of pro tools and the program showed audio track, as opposed to generating an error message the indicated no audio file present. I'm assuming this cleared up the problem.

PROBLEM# 2: TIMECODE WINDOW will not sync the SEQUENCE TIMECODE.

AS A TEMPORARY FIX / SHOT IN THE DARK: I rendered the video and then inside a new project dropped it into a sequence. I was able to add the time code window. Then rendered it again. I'm still waiting to hear back from the audio editor.

THE BIG PROBLEM #3. My primary concern now is AFF audio files will not work inside pro tools. While attempting to solve the time code problem, I've discovered that all the clips from multiple cameras, individually, have their own time code start times independent of their location in the sequence.
Does this mean when the audio editor drops the AFF file into pro tools there will be a sync problem??

- Can I manually sync the clips time code to match its location in the project sequence? .. or do i have to essentially rebuild the entire project?

- If I created a new sequence and dropped each clip in individually can I force it to match the TIMECODE?

The project is comprised of the following:

- RED 5k files from 2 different cameras
- Aerial footage from a drone,
- Animation files,
- Photos.
- Call out tags
- 3 ambient sound tracks ect.
- Adjustment layers

* Secondary concern: I did not see these problems coming as I am still very green to video production / editing.
Initially when I built the sequence I created a multi camera sequence. After making my final selections I copied and pasted all the clips into new sequence. What I am seeing is that original/ primary sequence is linked to the new one. They area both inside the same project. I can't seem to unlink them. If I were to move any of the files in the original sequence .... the video file goes black in the second sequence comprised of my final selection.

This feels like a night mare!

I selected clips individually in the primary "right clicked" unlinked them. They are still "married to the other sequence" inside the project.

Not sure what to do next other than rebuild the entire sequence and then drop in all my color work and call out tags ect, that would result in hours of work.

Return to posts index

Mike Kelland
Re: Premiere Pro CC files to Pro Tools: Time code problems
on Mar 5, 2018 at 1:30:47 am

Hi Daniel,

Use the burn-in timecode feature in the export window - that will burn your sequence timecode onto your clip.

Until you get AAF sorted resort to an OMF export for APP. That will be 100% reliable.

Are you setting the 'start time' of your sequence properly?

re. other issue - There is a icon at the top left of your timeline window that is the same as the sequence icon but with a slash through it. Turn that off when you drag a sequence or multiclip into another sequence to bring in the original clips.

Hope that's of some help to your questions - unsure of exactly what you're describing,

Cheers,
Mike

Return to posts index

Daniel Parker
on Mar 5, 2018 at 1:56:24 am

Thank you so much! I will try all of those suggestions and let you know how I make out.

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Mar 5, 2018 at 4:57:00 pm

Sorry I have no real world suggestions but have been reading about weird Pr CC timecode issues for a couple years on various Premiere lists. Check out the thread: [COW] Re: Premiere Pro Reads Incorrect Timecode from Source-Makes Bad XML
Good luck.

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]