FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to deal with time code breaks.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jerry wise
How to deal with time code breaks.
on Feb 28, 2018 at 9:10:33 pm

Shooting on XDCAM drop frame time of day time code. Ingesting into Premiere using XDCAM browser and Media Browser. It's a sport event so there are times when recording is stopped and re-started minutes later. A clip is loaded in that will have time code breaks within the clip. Premiere does not see the breaks. Is there a setting i'm missing.?

Return to posts index

Tod Hopkins
Re: How to deal with time code breaks.
on Feb 28, 2018 at 10:42:50 pm

Is it possible that the timecode is, in fact, discontinuous within the clip and that Premiere is simply reporting what it sees? You may have corrupt time code. Check the clips in another app. Maybe Sony Catalyst Browse.

Cheers,
tod

Tod Hopkins
Hillmann & Carr Inc.
Washington, DC

Return to posts index

jerry wise
on Feb 28, 2018 at 11:07:03 pm

I'm not sure. If you play the clip in the XDCAM player there is a time code break due to the cameraman stopping and then restarting. The time of day timecode will just keep running resulting in a jump in the timecode. Premiere does not see the time code breaks.
I will have to get back with the editor and see what all is happening at the ingest stage. maybe the the problem will reveal itself.
it might be that each clip will have to be ingested up until there is a break and then ingest the next clip until the next break and so on.

Return to posts index

Tod Hopkins
on Mar 1, 2018 at 1:12:14 pm

[jerry wise] "If you play the clip in the XDCAM player there is a time code break due to the cameraman stopping and then restarting."

I'm deducing that your source is tape, and that you are "digitizing" continuously across timecode breaks. In the file-based world you can't do that (in my experience anyway), but in the "old days" you could. Most digitizing software that has TC control will abort by default at any break, though sometimes it can miss a break since it's sensing control signal, not TC per se.

How you handle this in Premiere with your particular source is not within my experience. Avid and FCP 7 can handle this automatically, but I have not digitized from discontinuous TC tape in a very long time, and never in Premiere.

You can either re-capture properly or break your files into new clips. There are software packages that can break files into "shots" automatically, but I can't remember to recommend one.

Cheers,
tod

Tod Hopkins
Hillmann & Carr Inc.
Washington, DC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]