FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking for 4K HDMI 2.0 PCIe Capture cards that actually work with good capture software

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Ainscough
Looking for 4K HDMI 2.0 PCIe Capture cards that actually work with good capture software
on Feb 27, 2018 at 12:15:09 am

In my quest to record 4K from my computer HDMI 2.0 output, I've been semi-successful but the results are not as good as I'd like and very problematic.

First disclaimer, I'm NOT interested at all in pirating 4K movies or anything like that ... the 4K PC content I want to capture is from my PC desktop and from flight simulators and sometimes from games and is primarily for "training" purposes. So with this background out of the way ...

I've tried the following:
1. Magewell 4K PRO HDMI capture card (PCIe)
2. BlackMagic Designs Intensity Pro 4K Capture card
3. Elgato 4K Pro 60 capture card

The problems:
1. Magewell:
a. 50/50 of whether or not Adobe PP CC 2018 will import the resulting MP4
b. Software is very primitive and there is NO hardware accelerated capture when operating at 4K
c. Quality is So/So but worse when operating darks and doesn't appear to be UHD support
d. 3rd party software OBS (free) is problematic often introducing stutters (dropped frames while recording), other expensive payware software is just as bad and limited quality

2. BlackMagic Designs:
a. After several tech support inquiries and nothing but blank/black screens on recording attempts, I eventually gave up.

3. Elgato 4K Pro 60:
a. It appears to be the exact same chipset and card as the Magewell only re-badge and costing 1/2 as much
b. Same issues as the Magewell and the capture software is identical when recording 4K
c. Audio sync issues also

FYI, I don't need pass-thru since I'm using a 4KUHD60 splitter with eDID support.

I've come to the conclusion that there is NO capture card that supports 4K hardware encoding from a PC HDMI 2.0 source with UHD 30Hz or 60Hz ... heck I could even live without UHD so long as it was RGB Full and/or YCbCr 444 at 30Hz. But my search for a solution has come up empty.

I'm sorta puzzled at why there is so little available for 4K HDMI 2.0 capture that works well ... is their some sort of road block ... Sony royalty fees or something? Since I'm generating the source footage and the is NO copy protection involved, I was hoping to find a solution to quality 4K HDMI 2.0 capture that can be used in Adobe PP CC 2018. Am I asking for the impossible?

Cheers, Rob.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]