FORUMS: list search recent posts

Terrible video distortion after exporting.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Chan
Terrible video distortion after exporting.
on Feb 22, 2018 at 4:08:15 am

If anyone can help me with this I would really really appreciate it.

While watching it in Premiere Pro there is no such distortion. After rendering and exporting this one specific scene shows signs of distortion like when the air is so hot that you see heat waves.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Terrible video distortion after exporting.
on Feb 22, 2018 at 4:37:19 am

Are you using Twixtor or some other kind of slow motion/frame blending? Looks like a motion artifact to me.

Return to posts index

Tim Chan
on Feb 22, 2018 at 4:51:41 am

Hey Tero. Thanks for taking your time. I really appreciate it.

Super frustrating.

But to answer your question. NO.

I only have the video layer then an adjustment layer on top of it where I applied the color grading (LUT) to it and made some other color corrections like white, black, shadow, highlight etc. All on the adjustment layer. So I didn't change anything on the original footage.

When I watch it in Premiere Pro everything is fine. And I might have changed the speed a little bit but I don't think that's the issue because the distortion only happens in certain scenes and in others not.

I can say it happens in some scenes where there was a lot of camera movement or people were moving fast and when the scene was very bright. Still doesn't explain why the distortion only shows up after exporting the file.

Thank you

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 22, 2018 at 8:48:51 am

[Tim Chan] "And I might have changed the speed a little bit but I don't think that's the issue"

Well... Did you change the speed? And what time interpolation method did you use? Because this really looks like a motion artifact like I said before. Higher quality time interpolation is not a soft effect so you won't see it unless you render out or render a preview. Also it will not show up everywhere.

What is the format of the original footage? What are your sequence settings and what are your exact export settings?

Return to posts index

Tim Chan
on Feb 22, 2018 at 4:58:23 pm

Hey..

I actually found the cause. It's here in the forum was well: https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/3/908729#908729

So basically all the clips I changed to 80%, 60% and anything lower than 100% will show up with distortion. I solved it by exporting the clip with dynamic link to After Effects and slowed it down there. Somehow this solves this issue.

But it's still good to know why the software will let you export it without any issues only if you do it the way I did it. To me it makes no sense and would be good to know what's going on. Does that mean everyone is doing it this way? Is there no way to slow down your footage and export it in Premiere Pro without these distortions?

Return to posts index

Tim Chan
on Feb 22, 2018 at 4:54:32 am

Here's another example.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 22, 2018 at 3:13:03 pm

Another example isn't helpful. You need to answer Tero's questions.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Feb 22, 2018 at 5:13:51 pm

This is caused by using Optical Flow as your time interpolation method for speed changes. Premiere is basically trying to morph between frames, which only works well for slow movements. Switch to Frame Sampling or Frame Blending, and this problem will go away.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 22, 2018 at 6:07:28 pm

[Blaise Douros] "This is caused by using Optical Flow as your time interpolation method for speed changes. Premiere is basically trying to morph between frames, which only works well for slow movements. Switch to Frame Sampling or Frame Blending, and this problem will go away."

Yep. Optical Flow is neat if your footage is pretty chill to begin with. If you have some high action party shots it can create these weird artifacts because it doesn't know what to do. The other interpolation methods might not be so high quality but they work better with all kinds of footage.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]