FORUMS: list search recent posts

Thinking about CS6

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Withers
Thinking about CS6
on Feb 20, 2018 at 6:17:14 pm

Hello all,
I'm thinking about buying CS6 off of Ebay or somewhere to be able to get off the CC infinite subscription.
I have a "legacy"machine running Mac OS 10.8.5 which is running FCP7 and CC 2013 and 2014.
I like CC 2013 and it works just fine for my needs.
Apple seems to be denigrating? deprecating? old OS versions -- I can't even take my new Air Book from High S back to S. (Not using this machine for editing.)
Of course with the next Mac I'll probably have to switch to FCP X or Resolve but that could be a while.
I edit independent/experimental films so don't have to keep up with the latest flavors. But for various reasons I'm stuck with Mac.
What do y'all think? Opinions and experience welcome.
Cheers,
Robert

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

greg janza
Re: Thinking about CS6
on Feb 20, 2018 at 7:15:07 pm

Are you aware that you can get Premiere CC only for $19.99/month?

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Feb 20, 2018 at 7:52:55 pm

Premiere alone, right? Maybe that would be an option. I do use Acrobat and Dreamweaver often.
Thanks,
Robert

Robert Withers

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 20, 2018 at 7:40:52 pm

CS6 was great but it would be pretty rough compared to the CC versions. Also there's no support for newer formats and the projects you've made with CC aren't backwards compatible.

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Feb 20, 2018 at 7:59:34 pm

Thanks, Tero. I wonder what you mean by "rough"?
Lack of backwards compatibility is one of the issues I dislike about Pr CC, but I think it applies to all NLEs.
Most camera formats I can transfer to ProRes. I don't need to buy new cameras so often either.
Newer Pr CC can't handle older tape formats, either. I have a fair amount of tape.
I keep a legacy computer running legacy software to deal with my older projects.
I guess the ultimate format these days is DCP.
No arguments at all, just sharing.
I started out shooting and editing celluloid. Technology changed over a hundred years but not so fast you had to change your tools every year ☺

Best,
Robert

Robert Withers

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 21, 2018 at 9:04:40 am

[Robert Withers] "Thanks, Tero. I wonder what you mean by "rough"?"

Fewer features, less support, less performance optimization, the UI has come a long way from so overall usability or "speed" of use CS6 etc.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Feb 21, 2018 at 4:14:06 pm

[Robert Withers] "I started out shooting and editing celluloid. Technology changed over a hundred years but not so fast you had to change your tools every year ☺"

Change is inevitable and encouraged in our business. The more you embrace the change, the easier it becomes to stay current and to enjoy the benefits of that change.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Feb 22, 2018 at 4:37:23 am

hahahaha thanks for sharing your wisdom

Robert Withers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]