FORUMS: list search recent posts

Colour grade not exporting with Premiere Pro

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Bond
Colour grade not exporting with Premiere Pro
on Feb 7, 2018 at 8:20:36 pm

Hi all, I may be doing something rather basic but here goes:

I am trying to export ANY file type from Premiere Pro CC - H264, ProRes, even still Jpeg images all have the same problem - some, not all (I cannot tell which) of the colour grades are not exporting so the Mp4 or .mov or whatever comes out is washed out - but not completely back to Slog.

It doesn't matter what the footage is - I tried reimporting MP4s and ProRes files and re-exporting them, I tried faking the grade but that just made a mess.

Any ideas? Doesn't make any difference if it's with LUTs or without - same issue

Machine is iMac Pro, Graphics card is Radeon Pro Vega 64 16GB, IOS is High Sierra, Adobe CC is up to date (brand new install)

Many thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Colour grade not exporting with Premiere Pro
on Feb 7, 2018 at 8:45:38 pm

Is the image just washed out a little, or is the grade not staying at all? I ask this because really, you can't judge the true colors in the Adobe interface. Those windows aren't need an IO device/card and external HDTV or broadcast monitor....even for the web. Again, the reason is that the PREVIEW and PROGRAM monitors in Premiere aren't color accurate.

Another issue is that if you play back in QT, QT isn't accurate. VLC is more accurate, so you can try that. But players themselves often lighten or alter the image a bit. And compressing to MP4, that compression means losing color information, that's how the files get lighter in size. So it won't be exactly the same.

Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Alex Bond
on Feb 7, 2018 at 10:02:31 pm

HI, it's washed out significantly. I've never had this issue before - take the same project and footage and export it on an old laptop - no issues. Must be something to do with the iMac Pro

Return to posts index

Alex Bond
on Feb 8, 2018 at 10:06:07 am

I have just run the following test, which to me confirms it is a Premier Pro export issue:

Set iMac Monitor display profile to "iMac"
Export file from premiere pro to H264 (or anything, it really doesn't matter)

Open H264 in Quicktime and put it next to the Premiere Pro Programme monitor for comparison.
The two video images are different - the export is washed out.

Leave everything on screen, in place - not even moving windows around - open Display profile settings for iMac and CHANGE them to sRGB IEC61966-2.1

The Exported QT movie is now the same as the Premiere Programme monitor - to clarify, the QT file changes but the Premiere Pro Programme window remains the same. - Flick back and forth between the monitor settings and the QT movie changes but NOT the Premiere Pro image.

When the H264 is uploaded to Vimeo and I look at Vimeo on a different device Vimeo displays the altered exported image - ie, the more washed out version. If I open Vimeo on the iMac and flip between the colour profiles I can see the colour changing on the uploaded video.

Whatever the iMac is showing pre upload doesn't really matter - Premier Pro is NOT exporting the same looking video that you see on the screen within Premiere Pro. Given that you cannot know where the film will be shown it MUST come out as Premiere Pro intended it - so this remains the problem - How do you export what you see in Premiere Pro so it looks EXACTLY the same.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved