FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVCHD and H264 Is there a difference?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryce Douglass
AVCHD and H264 Is there a difference?
on Feb 4, 2018 at 3:51:20 pm

Hello,

I know about transcoding but I have would rather not transcode my 28mbps AVHCD footage to a format that's 10 bit or higher as my camera doesn't support 10 bit and it would just be a waste of space. I tried transcoding a 2 hour music event I shot which originally was 1GB for AVCHD files. When I transcoded it to Cineform for example. It was a whopping 200GB.

Isn't H264 the same as AVCHD? my file extension is .mts

I also want to ingest portions of my media rather than all of it. Can I just ingest portions of my AVCHD files to h264 without quality loss?

Another question is that I have i Currently have a massive project going on in premire Pro CC 2017 with several effects that are processor intensive. Can I just render and replace those clips as h264 as well?

I understand that the more you export something the more generation loss I will get but how much loss will I really have if I just transcode 1 or two times per edit before I make a master file?

Bryce

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: AVCHD and H264 Is there a difference?
on Feb 4, 2018 at 4:07:50 pm

H264 is lossy so you will lose information there. You could use DNxHD or maybe even XDCAMHD 422.

Return to posts index

Bryce Douglass
on Feb 4, 2018 at 4:56:43 pm

[Tero Ahlfors] "H264 is lossy so you will lose information there. You could use DNxHD or maybe even XDCAMHD 422."

How come I can't find a DNXHD or XDCAM format that is under 10 bit file? Again I don't want a 10 bit file as my camera doesn't need that. Is there an 8 bit format that closely matches my avhd footage?

Bryce

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 4, 2018 at 5:13:43 pm

There's no way to select just a portion of a clip. You simply import clips. Got a 10-second clip? You get 10 seconds of video. Likewise for 2 hours.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bryce Douglass
on Feb 4, 2018 at 5:20:46 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "There's no way to select just a portion of a clip. You simply import clips. Got a 10-second clip? You get 10 seconds of video. Likewise for 2 hours."

Um, That's not true. Prelude lets you selection portions and transcode only that portion .

Bryce

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 5, 2018 at 3:04:04 pm

Then use Prelude! PP doesn't allow it.

Cripes, it's just a clip. You don't have to create new media when you import. The only pain involved in working with a 2-hour clip is finding in & out points.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 4, 2018 at 5:22:16 pm

[Bryce Douglass] "How come I can't find a DNXHD or XDCAM format that is under 10 bit file?"

XDCAM is 8 bit and there is an 8-bit version of DNxHD. Look again.

Return to posts index

Bryce Douglass
on Feb 4, 2018 at 10:09:00 pm

[Tero Ahlfors] "XDCAM is 8 bit and there is an 8-bit version of DNxHD. Look again."

I see a DNXHD 8 bit version which is called DNXHD SQ with is 45MBs. Is that the one I should choose? The next one up from that is HQ with 100MBs. I'm guessing since my camera records in 28mbs I should select the SQ version with 45MBs?

Bryce

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Feb 6, 2018 at 7:55:54 pm

I'm with Dave on this one. Copy entire contents of your card to your hard drive. And just bring in your 1GB file via Media Browser and edit. Export final to whatever you need. Sounds like you want to make it more complicated than it needs to be.
If you're doing a multicam, you may want to do something to make editing easier if your system bogs down. But a single camera shoot? Just edit the camera file.
TC

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Feb 6, 2018 at 8:03:53 pm

[Bryce Douglass] " I have would rather not transcode my 28mbps AVHCD footage to a format that's 10 bit or higher as my camera doesn't support 10 bit and it would just be a waste of space."

If you're concerned about space you're not set up properly to edit. With storage costs being ridiculously low there's simply no reason not to have plenty of storage and therefore the size of clips should be a non-issue.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Feb 6, 2018 at 8:34:55 pm

h264 is a delivery format. Period!

friends don't let friends edit with h264 :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]