FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export video to AME but little difference between 1080p and 720p

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerry Smith
Export video to AME but little difference between 1080p and 720p
on Feb 1, 2018 at 3:34:18 pm

I'm trying to see how small I can make this video file size. If I set the target bit rate for 3 and the max bit rate for 5, I get a good file at 95MB. That's for 1920x1080. But if I go for 1280x720 with the same bit rates. I get a file that 94.9!

Thoughts!??

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Export video to AME but little difference between 1080p and 720p
on Feb 1, 2018 at 4:05:12 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Feb 1, 2018 at 4:20:25 pm

Your compression is being driven by the bit rate ALONE -- there is no consideration of the difference between the two resolutions. And that compression bit rate is identical between the two files. Thus, the file sizes are more or less identical.

If you want the file sizes to be different, you need to do the arithmetic to determine the difference in total number of pixels per frame between 1080 and 720, then reduce the compression bit rate for 720 compression by that ratio.

That's the hard way to do it. So I'm curious why you're so bound and determined to reduce file size.

The type and amount of compression is dictated by delivery specifications. Adobe Media Encoder has a plethora of compression presets for many, many delivery specs. Why aren't you using them?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jerry Smith
on Feb 1, 2018 at 4:44:50 pm

Thanks Dave,

I see!!! That's saving me so much!!!

I'm trying to minimize file size to minimize bandwidth. It doesn't help that there are big differences in what CDNs charge for video. And it's all linear. Shave off 50%, save 50%. Could be a couple thousand dollars!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 1, 2018 at 6:21:46 pm

It's nice to save money, but not at the expense of sacrificing the delivery specifications for your work.

If it's not an issue, fine. Keep doing what you're doing.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Feb 1, 2018 at 6:33:02 pm

You can have small file size, or good quality. Choose either ONE 😉

3 to 5mbps is already very low for HD video. By using 2-Pass VBR, you can maximize quality, but you can only squeeze so much out of it. At the SAME bitrate, although 720p is lower resolution than 1080p, the perceived quality should be better since you have less pixels to compress into the same space.

Is there a reason you can't take advantage of FREE hosting on YouTube or Vimeo perhaps, where you would have no quality limitations imposed by potential cost? Maybe this is a training video or something that you are charging for, so I can understand bandwidth concerns there.

Good luck meeting your goal

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]