FORUMS: list search recent posts

fixing mixed aspect ratios

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Habib Azar
fixing mixed aspect ratios
on Jan 30, 2018 at 11:47:13 pm

Hi all--forgive the beginner question, but I strangely haven't been able to find an answer online.

I have a multi-cam project and I mistakenly filmed some of the footage in 2048x1080 and some in 1920x1080. What is the best workflow to fix the mistake? I assume I need to crop the 2048 so there isn't any distortion, but I'm not sure what settings to use in media encoder.

And is this something I should do before I start editing so all the footage matches from the start?

Thanks for your help

Return to posts index

greg janza
Re: fixing mixed aspect ratios
on Jan 30, 2018 at 11:52:23 pm

It's not really an issue at all. Your Premiere sequence can be a mix and match of sizes.

If you're creating an HD sequence you can just scale down the 2k footage to fit the frame.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Habib Azar
on Jan 31, 2018 at 12:12:02 am

So you're saying that I should start with a HD sequence and then when I drag the 2K footage in I can scale it to 1980? Do you mean to crop it because wouldn't scaling it distort the footage?

Thanks so much for your help

Return to posts index

Habib Azar
on Jan 31, 2018 at 12:25:26 am

Ok, I think i got it. As long as I don't click on 'scale' or 'set frame' Premiere just automatically crops the 2K footage when it's placed into an HD sequence (which is kind of not intuitive and strange, but...)

Thanks for your help with this.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Jan 31, 2018 at 2:52:10 am

you almost have it. If you just put a 2k clip into a HD sequence Premiere simply puts the clip in full size. It may seem like it's cropping it but it's not. you're just seeing the portion that fits in that HD sizing.

If you scale down that clip you'll see the entire 2k shot. SO, that's why you need to control click on the 2k clip in the sequence and select "set to frame size' so that you see the entire clip in your sequence AND so that if you want to resize that 2k clip you can scale it without losing any quality.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Jan 31, 2018 at 12:26:24 am

If you control click the 2k clip in the sequence, select “set to frame size.” That sizes it to fit the 1920x1080 frame. Then in your effect control settings you can change the sizing of the clip without any loss of quality.

- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 31, 2018 at 4:19:09 pm

But really, if you don't mind losing the little bit off each side, put the 2048 footage into the 1920 sequence and do nothing else, no scaling needed.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Rich Tamayo
on Feb 1, 2018 at 5:17:04 am

Hi. I think you should start with, what size do you want your end product to be? (ie: Where will your edited product be used.) Youtube? Vimeo? On a website? for Television? For theatrical viewing? For Cell Phones? For Projections? And what is the material? Talking head speaker for 3 hours? 30 second TV Commercial? 5 Minute artistic Drama Short Film? 1/2 hour showcase of the Big Pines at Redwood National State Park... You get the Idea?
Once you have that answer, you can safely decide what your final resolution should be based on what size of the average viewing monitor will be for any particular project.
Then open up a new blank timeline with those attributes. ie: HD @ 1080x1920.
When you drop your different footage, it may play at different sizes, so you'll have to re-size it to fit your new chosen screen. You may even have to play a little bit manually with vertical & horizontal sizes independently and shift certain scenes up or down to fit your needs.
We do this all the time when mixing different sources and is something that you'll have to get used to doing.

Rich Tamayo, TVP Studios Inc. / TVP LIVE
Los Angeles & Orange County, California

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]