FORUMS: list search recent posts

GoPro 4k/60 footage playback in Premiere extremely choppy

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
wesley post
GoPro 4k/60 footage playback in Premiere extremely choppy
on Jan 30, 2018 at 4:09:07 am

I'm running a brand new iMac and my Premiere is playing back my GoPro 4K/60 FPS footage really poorly. Note that in Quicktime it plays back full resolution flawlessly with no issue whatsoever. I can go super fast, pause, backwards, anything I want, and it is precise and instant. In Premiere, even in 1/8 resolution, it is HORRID. Clearly something is wrong here. Any ideas?

Specifications:

Computer: 2017 iMac 27", 5K display, OS High Sierra 10.13.2, 4.2 GHz core i7, 16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 RAM, Radeon Pro 575 4 GB Vid card

Premiere: 12.0.0 Premiere Pro CC

Footage: GoPro Hero 6 Black 4K/60 FPS

Note I have no other issues with any other video files in Premiere, and I have edited many different setups on this computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: GoPro 4k/60 footage playback in Premiere extremely choppy
on Jan 31, 2018 at 1:53:08 am

With GoPro footage in Premier I have just gotten accustomed to converting to ProRes before I ever import to Premier....I know, sounds so old fashioned but it always works and plays back great. Not sure why Premier stumbles so much when like you said, Quicktime plays it fine. I think that's why Final Cut is more optimized with some footage because of the motherboard chips that Apple uses and premier doesn't.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

wesley post
on Jan 31, 2018 at 1:58:41 am

Hm, that's an interesting thought. Wouldn't that be a loss of quality, though?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 31, 2018 at 2:41:46 am

[wesley post] " Wouldn't that be a loss of quality, though?"

No. ProRes maintains all the quality. I mean, sure, you are transcoding, but I dare you to tell the difference. And now the footage will be 10-bit, opposed to 8-bit, so grading will make it band less

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

wesley post
on Jan 31, 2018 at 2:44:29 am

Thanks for the input. I will definitely consider that if I cannot find a better work around. I have a tremendous amount of footage and will continue to have more of it so I would greatly prefer to not have to transcode.

Anyone have any clue how to fix this issue? I find it odd all other GoPro formats have been fine except the 4K.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Jan 31, 2018 at 10:21:28 am

[wesley post] " I find it odd all other GoPro formats have been fine except the 4K."

Yeah, very odd indeed! When I have had 4 beers I feel great. But when I've had 40, I feel sick. Why is that?

Bouke
http://www.videotoolshed.com

Return to posts index

wesley post
on Jan 31, 2018 at 5:38:48 pm

[Bouke Vahl] "Yeah, very odd indeed! When I have had 4 beers I feel great. But when I've had 40, I feel sick. Why is that?"

This analogy would make sense if it weren't for the fact that I pointed out that the behavior is the exact same if resolution is knocked down to 1/8 as it is in Full resolution. It has nothing to do with my computer's ability to handle the footage. There is something going on with the way the GoPro footage and its compression codecs interact with Premiere that is wonky. I just don't know specifically what nor how to fix it =(

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Jan 31, 2018 at 5:43:21 pm

GoPro, drone and Osmo footage works best in Premiere if it's transcoded. If you want a smooth edit take the time to transcode.

If you're ok with potential headaches and technical problems, work with the H264 originals.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

wesley post
on Feb 11, 2018 at 2:05:14 am

The answer to this problem for anyone else dealing with it in the future is to simply setup a Proxy with Adobe Media Creator.

Link:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]