FORUMS: list search recent posts

Projects are slow to open

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kristian Perrault
Projects are slow to open
on Jan 29, 2018 at 3:59:02 pm

Wondering if someone could just clarify something. It's been happening with my new PC I built last year. I've been editing some 4k GH4 projects (interviews, b-roll, nothing fancy). So once I start the project and lay down an assembly edit, every time I open up the project my CPU and RAM spike to 100% for about 5 min. Making my computer unusable. If I click anywhere usually Premiere crashes. Once I see my CPU and RAM go down than that's when I can start editing just fine. Although sometimes after opening, if I hit play on the timeline nothing happens and I have to reboot Premiere. I've rebooted often by pressing Shift and Alt but that doesn't help at all. I've re-installed premiere several times, still nothing. I have Premiere on 1 SSD with the scratch disk, and the footage on another SSD (Sandisk).
So I'm just wondering if that's just the way it is and my CPU isn't fast enough to handle 4k footage or there's just something thats going on that I don't know about.

Specs:
i7-7700k
GTX 1070
16gb RAM
256gb SSD (Boot and software)
1tb SSD (storage)

Return to posts index

greg janza
Re: Projects are slow to open
on Jan 29, 2018 at 5:50:16 pm

Your PC is plenty fast to edit smoothly with 4k. However, you don't have enough RAM. You'll need 32 gigs as a minimum and you need a fast drive for the media. Have you done a speed test on your 1tb ssd to make sure the thru put is fast enough for the 4k files?

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Kristian Perrault
on Jan 29, 2018 at 6:23:40 pm

Hi Greg,

Thanks I thought 16gb RAM would somewhat enough, but the price of RAM has increased significantly in the last year so I won't be upgrading anytime soon.

I'll do a speed test tonight on my SSD and see if that's causing it.

Thank you, if you think of anything else let me know, appreciate it!

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Jan 30, 2018 at 5:01:18 pm

Maximum efficiency setup for 4k editing:

internal ssd - OS and apps
secondary internal ssd - premiere cache and renders
Raid for all media

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]