FORUMS: list search recent posts

People using Team Projects?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas Lear
People using Team Projects?
on Jan 28, 2018 at 5:43:25 am

Considering upgrading to the Team licence to make use of the Premiere team protects feature.

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/how-to/team-project.html

My research suggests it came out in beta a year ago and was not fully stable. I think it is out of beta, but I can't gather if it is stable now.

If it works, then it's a fantastic feature - much more efficient for sharing an edit at a distance.

This would be for a feature length doc so the project will get pretty big.

Any feedback appreciated.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: People using Team Projects?
on Jan 28, 2018 at 1:31:13 pm

There are two ways to share - via the cloud and local collaboration (like in Avid). Which way do you want to work? The cloud method requires both users to be on the same account and project files are not hosted locally. If you are just in a shared project, then you have two or more systems connected on a shared storage network.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Nicholas Lear
on Jan 28, 2018 at 1:44:23 pm

Hi Oliver

And by the way, I have read many of your answers over the years, thank you.

I'm talking about the former, the cloud collaboration "team project" (https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/team-projects.html),

not the local "shared project" (https://larryjordan.com/articles/adobe-premiere-pro-cc-2018-shared-projects/).

The other editor and I would each have an external RAID with the same copy of all the rushes and we will be in different locations.

I'm trying to get an idea of whether people have seen it work or if it's still a bit buggy. I mean there's a thread on the Adobe forum where they admit to deleting some of the projects from the beta stage (https://forums.adobe.com/message/10094440#10094440)!

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 28, 2018 at 1:51:47 pm

[Nicholas Lear] "And by the way, I have read many of your answers over the years, thank you."

Thanks for the kind words. Unfortunately I've never used the cloud solution and the only users that I've interviewed for stories were in the early days. It is my understanding, though, that both you and the other editor have to be on the same team license. It might be better just swapping project files back and forth. Somewhat like this:

https://digitalfilms.wordpress.com/2017/04/07/five-came-back/

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Nicholas Lear
on Jan 28, 2018 at 3:27:33 pm

Yes, Adobe support did confirm we'd have to be on the same team license and in this case that is fine as the other editor is also my client and he is going to pay for my license as I normally edit on Resolve.

We could swap project files, but I am intrigued to try this team project method and see how it works.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 28, 2018 at 10:20:30 pm

If you want my opinion, DO NOT USE ADOBE TEAM!!!

It is not anywhere near the bulletproof application the Adobe Marketing Weasels make it out to be. Proceed with caution. Better yet, forget it until it is a PROVEN application.

Now, you may enjoy rolling the dice. Deadlines may mean nothing to you. You may get a thrill out of troubleshooting. You may enjoy buying hardware to make the software work. If you do, knock yourself out.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Nicholas Lear
on Jan 29, 2018 at 5:52:54 am

This is very helpful, thank you Dave.

Are you able to offer any specifics of where it is not yet functioning as it should? E.g. Saving projects, conflict resolution, etc?

From what I can gather, the main project is stored in the cloud, which is a bit worrying. Though I think each editor has what they are doing being saved to a local database on their machine, so even if they are offline for a time, it can sync up later.

Certainly more to go wrong with this set up and it does seem safer to wait for a bit.

Still, in the long run it will be very useful.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 29, 2018 at 3:24:30 pm

Waiting is your best bet. Here's my thoughts on it:

What's Adobe's primary function? To make money.
How do they make that money? By renting software people want to use.
To make more money, Adobe needs to get more rentals.
So to get more rentals, Adobe needs to create new and attractive features.

BUT.....

Developing new features happens on an insanely-tight schedule, and things get overlooked. Consider the confusing interactions among applications, operating systems, hardware and the drivers that make the hardware work. All those OS versions. All those hardware makers. All those models. Can the Adobe developers get features to work with all those permutations?

NOPE! That's why initial releases of Adobe software are train wrecks. That's why cynics think of a subscription as an unwitting membership in the Adobe Unpaid Beta Tester Program. Adobe relies on bug reports and feature requests from users to plug the biggest holes in the software dike.

If you have plain-vanilla, non-networked machines with no exotic peripherals, chances are pretty good that things will work. But who has that?

You know all those glowing, glitzy success stories Adobe features in its marketing literature? Don't those companies have exotic hardware? They do, but those successful companies ALSO have very talented IT folks who re-write the Adobe code to get it to work as billed.

People who just want to use the software as it's portrayed by the Adobe Marketing Weasels, people who can't afford hot-shot IT folks don't stand much of a chance of immediate success getting new, complex features to work properly. There are just too many impediments. So these people have to wait for bug fixes.

That's why I never bite on initial releases. That's why I'm always a version behind. When the initial release of a new version comes out, I figure it's time to get the previous version -- they've fixed all the bugs they're going to.

And now about the cloud.

My neighbor across the street has the responsibility to maintain data security for a big government and commercial avionics company. I asked him, "How secure is data on the cloud?"

His two-word reply: "It isn't."

That's good enough for me to get nervous about using the cloud for ANYTHING.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 29, 2018 at 4:59:43 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Jan 29, 2018 at 5:02:34 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "You know all those glowing, glitzy success stories Adobe features in its marketing literature? Don't those companies have exotic hardware? They do, but those successful companies ALSO have very talented IT folks who re-write the Adobe code to get it to work as billed."

Well... Just a bit of push-back. The company I freelance at most of the time is running multiple seats on a shared storage network. There is no IT staff and all software is "stock". Machines are various newer Macs with minimal external gear (BMD UltraStudio Express, Onyx audio i/o, docks, etc.). There are certainly hiccups, but our experience with Premiere has been excellent. At least as good or better than with FCPX. Probably not quite as good as an Avid/Unity/Isis/Nexis set-up.

But, I would agree with your concerns about the Team Projects. I personally haven't tried it, because we have no need for cloud-based sharing of projects. Team Projects originally started as a local, server-hosted situation under the banner Adobe Anywhere. To my understanding, the adoption and success was limited, so now the cloud approach is the lighter-weight, "second gen" version of this.

https://digitalfilms.wordpress.com/2014/07/11/adobe-anywhere/

https://digitalfilms.wordpress.com/2015/01/29/adobe-anywhere-and-divine-acc...

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 29, 2018 at 5:17:50 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Jan 29, 2018 at 5:25:10 pm

[Nicholas Lear] "From what I can gather, the main project is stored in the cloud, which is a bit worrying. Though I think each editor has what they are doing being saved to a local database on their machine, so even if they are offline for a time, it can sync up later."

I'm not sure about that. I believe the syncing is between your edits and the cloud, but that the actual edit project file - "database" - is only in the cloud. More here:

Although Larry's webinar does seem to indicate that Team Projects are not limited to the Cloud.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Nicholas Lear
on Jan 29, 2018 at 6:25:19 pm

I was getting it from what Adobe staff wrote in this post https://forums.adobe.com/message/10094440#10094440

To clarify how data is stored in Team Projects:

1. When you create a Team Project, a database is created on the workstation where you create it. All of your edits are written to that local database (as "auto-saves"). When you are connected to the cloud, your local database is backed up to the cloud. Your local database contains all of the auto-saves that were created on that workstation using that Mac or Windows account.

2. The first time you open an existing Team Project on a workstation, the current state of the database from the cloud is copied to that workstation, and is updated on that workstation moving forward, and synced to the cloud as well. This is also what would happen if you opened a Team Project after deleting your local database.

3. The local databases for every Team Project you have opened on a given workstation are stored (off the top of my head) in "~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/Team Projects Local Hub" (Mac), and "%APPDATA%\Adobe\Common\Team Projects Local Hub" (Windows).

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 29, 2018 at 6:32:48 pm

[Nicholas Lear] "I was getting it from what Adobe staff"

This is great info. Thanks. Any idea whether these files are retained or overwritten when synced with the Cloud version?

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Nicholas Lear
on Jan 30, 2018 at 4:11:39 am

No, I'm not sure.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]