FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere project size suddenly 200MB larger

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rosie Nakamura
Premiere project size suddenly 200MB larger
on Jan 25, 2018 at 10:26:21 pm

I have been working in a project that's about 24MB for the last week or so. It's still in the logging stage, so it's mostly just bins with ProRes footage. All of the sudden today the project started to freeze up and then load very slowly. I noticed that the file size of the project is now 233.1MB when an hour ago it was 24.9MB. The only work I had done in that time was add log notes and markers to some clips, change the label color of some clips, and export marker html's of these clips. I have not added any new media in over a week. This is a project that doesn't have any effects of any kind on anything yet, because it's still in the logging phase. Does anyone know why this might have happened and if it's possible to get rid of whatever has made the project enormous? I'd like to avoid losing that hour of work and it would be nice to know what causes this in case it happens again.

I'm running Premiere CC 2018 on a late 2013 MacPro with OS 10.13.2. The footage is all ProRes 422 HQ and stored on a Terrablock server. I am able to work on other projects connected to this server with no problems.

Update: I have tried opening the last autosave project when it was 24MB. It opens fine, but when I save it, it immediately becomes 233.1MB, even though I haven't changed a thing in the project. I have tried restarting the computer and deleting the media cache.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Premiere project size suddenly 200MB larger
on Jan 25, 2018 at 11:37:02 pm

Has the larger project file size adversely affect PP performance in any way? If it hasn't don't sweat it.
What's 223 MB, the size of a 10-second clip or something like that?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Rosie Nakamura
on Jan 26, 2018 at 3:29:00 pm

Yes, the project performance has completely changed. It is now very slow to load and save, and it crashes often, whereas before this was not the case. And I have not really even started editing in this project, so I can only imagine how bad it will be when I start that process. I am trying to avoid starting over completely, since a couple weeks of logging and pulling selects has been done, but it might come down to that. It's just scary, because I'd hate to got though all of that work and this ends up happening again.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 26, 2018 at 12:37:37 am

If there are default camera LUTs being applied, like LogC-to-Rec709 on Alexa files, then your project can get large in size. You can get rid of these by disabling Masterclip effects on all of your source clips. However, if you do that, you will need to re-apply these camera LUTs in Lumetri for any clip on your timeline.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Rosie Nakamura
on Jan 26, 2018 at 3:32:22 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, but all masterclip effects were disabled when the footage was first imported into the project a couple of weeks ago and there are no LUTs/any kind of effects being used on anything.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 26, 2018 at 3:49:02 pm

Try saving a copy of the project (from within Premiere) to your local desktop and see if the local copy runs any better. It seems like some sort of corruption has occurred. May be related to the Terrablock if you have been saving the project files there.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Rosie Nakamura
on Jan 26, 2018 at 5:14:58 pm

Thanks Oliver. I just tried saving (from Premiere) the last version of the project that was small to the desktop of the computer and it became 233.1MB as soon as I saved it.

I then opened a version of the project from Monday and the exact same thing happened. It becomes over 200MB as soon as I save it.

I also tried doing this process on a completely different computer and the exact same thing happened. This is so weird.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]