FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export Submixes in WAV from Premiere 2018 Multitrack Sequence?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Gurfield
Export Submixes in WAV from Premiere 2018 Multitrack Sequence?
on Jan 25, 2018 at 7:15:41 pm

I've got a short film that I'm exporting for audio post. I've got 12 tracks of dialogue, one sfx, one music. I'm running 3 submixes on my multitrack sequence, dialogue (panned hard LEFT), SFX and Music (each panned Hard Right). This gives me discreet channel 1, channel 2 separation for guide movies and a few of the sound editors other requests. The sound editor also wants a WAV file guide track with separate stereo tracks for Dialogue, SFX, and Music.

My trouble is, in Premiere (2018), I can easily export a WAV, and I can easily export a stereo mix, or discreet channels, but I can't seem to find how to export just the submixes themselves as discreet tracks, without all the other tracks involved. I don't need to give him 12 tracks of dialogue, just the stereo mixdown on track...

Thoughts? My only guess would be muting 2 submixes, exporting a stereo mixdown, and repeating for all three mixes, then combining them all in a new sequence as three distinct tracks, and exporting that. BUT that seems like a major pain, and I feel dumb not finding a simpler way...

Thanks!

Mike

Return to posts index

greg janza
Re: Export Submixes in WAV from Premiere 2018 Multitrack Sequence?
on Jan 25, 2018 at 7:42:40 pm

Exporting your sequence to Audition and doing all exports in Audition will make things easier.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Mike Gurfield
on Jan 25, 2018 at 7:46:45 pm

So you're saying there's not a way to do it in Premiere proper? How do I export just the submixes in Audition then?

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Jan 25, 2018 at 8:12:07 pm

There probably is a way to do it in Premiere. I've just found that overall, audio work is much easier to accomplish in Audition.

If you send your sequence to Audition and create a multitrack session, you can easily produce full-length stems for each track or bus (submix) using the menu command: File > Export > Multitrack Mixdown > Entire Session. The export dialog will allow you to choose a full mixdown or to render each track/bus as a stem.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Mike Gurfield
on Jan 25, 2018 at 9:03:46 pm

Gotcha. Since it's a multitrack sequence in premiere, for whatever reason, it's reading it ALL as one clip in Audition, so even when I create a new multitrack session, the entire thing wants to all go into one track. Additionally, my submixes did not transfer over, and to create buses in the Audition project, I'd need to have separation on the audio channels... Will I really have to send each track separately to Audition for it to understand this correctly?

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Jan 25, 2018 at 9:32:42 pm
Last Edited By greg janza on Jan 25, 2018 at 9:36:39 pm

mike, I'm not sure what you're doing but it's definitely not correct.

I'd recommend that you create a new multi track sequence in Premiere and make sure that your tracks are setup as standard tracks. Copy your previous sequence into the new sequence and then try to send it to Audition.

A correctly set up multi track sequence in Premiere will open up in Audition as a multi track audio sequence with each track discreet mono or stereo and that includes submixes.

- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 25, 2018 at 8:58:47 pm

You can just turn off the tracks you don't want to hear in PP.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mike Gurfield
on Jan 25, 2018 at 9:08:39 pm

Dave-

Yes that's true. But in that scenario, I'd have to export three different WAV files to get the specified submixes all on discreet stereo channels, re-import, and then export from a new sequence just the three WAV files. There must be a way to have Premiere just export the submixes, right?

Mike

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jan 26, 2018 at 1:42:53 am

You just have to route things properly in the track mixer and in Media Encoder and use a multichannel sequence and it works.

For instance, if tracks 1-4 are routed to sub mix 1, tracks 5-6 are routed to sub mix 2 and tracks 7-10 are routed to submix 3, then route the sub mixes to the proper multi track Master tracks and you will get the three sub mixes when you export.

Sounds more complicated than it is.

Return to posts index

Mike Gurfield
on Jan 26, 2018 at 2:12:30 am

I can get the three submixes to export to a stereo mix no problem. But what I'm in need of is actually routing each submix to it's own stereo channel within a WAV. So even though my submixes are routed correctly, when I go to export, I don't have an option to export just the submixes. I can only export Mono, Stereo (aka the Master channel which is just a mix-down), 5.1, and then each track up, but not the submixes.

Perhaps I'm missing the step where you say, "route the sub mixes to the proper multi track Master tracks and you will get the three sub mixes when you export. " As far as I can tell, there is only one Master track on a sequence, be it multitrack or not. And that Master is just a stereo mix-down of everything, be it submixes (buses in a DAW), or just tracks of audio. If there's a way to route a submix to a specific master track, and have more than one master track at a time, I certainly don't know how to do that. If it's possible, can you walk me through?

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jan 26, 2018 at 11:54:57 pm

I’m not sure I get exactly whats tripping here...

If you have everything routed through submixes , the submixes are what gets output to the individual tracks in the WAV, not the original sequence tracks.

For example, set your multichannel sequence to output 12 channels. You are not restricted to a single stereo pair in a multi channel sequence master track at all. You can have many output tracks that are fully mappable to create a multichannel WAV file.

Route Submix 1 to Channel 1-2, Submix 2 to Channel 3-4, and so on.
I just did something similar earlier today, in fact.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]