Cannot Import Footage shot on Sony FS7 into Premiere Pro due to "missing codec"

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Claire Wilkins
Cannot Import Footage shot on Sony FS7 into Premiere Pro due to "missing codec"
on Jan 23, 2018 at 12:33:29 pm
Last Edited By Claire Wilkins on Jan 23, 2018 at 12:36:58 pm

Hey all,

I've recently encountered a problem with some footage that was taken from a Sony FS7 camera. The footage was shot and offloaded back in April 2017 and shows on our system as .mov files, but when i go to open up the files in Premiere i get the following:

To rectify this, i have tried to download the sony catalyst suite, for catalyst browse, but that too cannot read the files:

In fact NOTHING seems to be able to except Keep Vid Pro- and that software will only let me convert it to .MP4 at HD, and not the 4K the original footage is in:

I've also tried to download VLC player- to see if that drops a codec in we didn't have before, but nothing i find online has helped, and I'm really scratching my head. Whats worse is the production company can open the files on THEIR premiere pro fine!

Very confused- anyone experienced this or knows how to fix it? Premiere Pro CC is up to date.... and from what the production company showed me the codec is a .aivx?

Claire
Junior Content Manager - MCI UK

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Cannot Import Footage shot on Sony FS7 into Premiere Pro due to "missing codec"
on Jan 23, 2018 at 12:48:00 pm

Those files aren't probably straight from the camera and the production company has transcoded them to some weird codec that they have.

Return to posts index

Claire Wilkins
Re: Cannot Import Footage shot on Sony FS7 into Premiere Pro due to "missing codec"
on Jan 23, 2018 at 1:51:07 pm

I oversaw the onsite offload myself. They were put on a hard drive straight from the camera- so weren't transcoded- which is why i am a bit at a loss!

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on Jan 23, 2018 at 2:26:23 pm

Were they recorded in camera or to an external recording device?

Return to posts index

Claire Wilkins
on Jan 23, 2018 at 3:45:28 pm

In camera onto an SD card

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Jan 23, 2018 at 2:32:04 pm

Have you tried bringing the media into Media Encoder and transcoding to another format?

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Claire Wilkins
on Jan 23, 2018 at 3:45:57 pm

Media Encoder cannot read them either :-/

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Jan 23, 2018 at 2:56:09 pm

There are no Sony Cameras as far as I know that record to .mov files so something have been converted somewhere along the line. The FS7 files should be .mxf XAVC. I'm not even sure what an .aivx file is. Have you tried opening them with MediaInfo to get more info on what exactly they are.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Graham Tees
on Jan 23, 2018 at 3:13:28 pm

See here for something about .aivx files: http://www.usbgear.com/USBG-AIVX.html

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Jan 23, 2018 at 4:15:13 pm

That thing has been discontinued for what 10 years and aivx is obviously only a consumer codec so I truly don't understand how the files from this camera would have ended up as avix .mov files. There's no possible way that Catalyst will be able to read them unless they are in Sony's Native Codec which is XAVC.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Jan 23, 2018 at 4:17:36 pm

The normal protocol for Sony FS7 is to record in xavc which creates files in a .mxf wrapper. The camera specs show that you can also record pro res .mov files but there's no support for .aivx.

Since these file are in a .mov wrapper is it possible that the camera media was brought into FCPX or another Apple program to be organized before copying over?

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Claire Wilkins
on Jan 23, 2018 at 4:52:47 pm

It was run through a MacBook Pro onsite- as in - that's where the SD card was placed- so i suppose it's possible..... I would assume i would remember something like that however, as we don't use Final Cut Pro here- only the creative cloud. It was April last year however...

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Jan 23, 2018 at 6:14:18 pm

Try changing one of the extensions on one of the clips to .mxf, and see if it imports. If someone renamed them to .mov, that would create some weirdness for sure.

Return to posts index

Claire Wilkins
on Jan 24, 2018 at 9:34:37 am

So an update on this for anyone who comes across this problem- I've managed to get it working....

Bizarrely, if i install Final Cut Pro X as a Demo version- and then install the Pro Codecs FOR FINAL CUT PRO from the below link:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1396?locale=en_US

Magically Premiere Pro , Quicktime and everything else, can suddenly see, import and edit these .mov files as normal. Bit of a roundabout way of doing it, and no idea why you can't simply get the codecs for Premiere Pro natively!

Kind regards,

Claire

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jan 24, 2018 at 10:08:31 am

[Claire Wilkins] "no idea why you can't simply get the codecs for Premiere Pro natively!"

Because I still wager that those were transcoded with some proprietary Apple codec that needs to be installed and they are only available when you have FCPX, Compressor or Motion.

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Jan 24, 2018 at 12:33:26 pm
Last Edited By Brent Marginet on Jan 24, 2018 at 12:58:25 pm

If your running anything before High Sierra then install Quicktime 7 for Snow Leopard, open one of the files and do a CMD-I to get the codec info on the files. The other option is to buy MediaInfo from the App Store and open one of them with it. It's only $1 or $1.39 or something like that.

I also agree that the Camera Originals were Transcoded to some QT Codec, again the .mxf XAVC Codec is what this camera shoots natively.

Here's the link for QT 7 and below is the link to the latest version of the Codecs, V2.0.6.

https://support.apple.com/kb/dl923?locale=en_US
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT202410

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]