FORUMS: list search recent posts

Framerate Headache

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lewis Lloyd
Framerate Headache
on Jan 22, 2018 at 4:45:11 pm

Hey everyone, I wonder if someone could help with some advice on frame rates?

I've made a few mistakes along the way and now I have to correct them to the best of my ability in the available time (3 hours)

I've shot a video in 23.976 and 59.94

I've edited that footage on a 24fps timeline, along with some true 24fps footage. I now realise I'm going to have to export the final as 25fps.

It's not the end of the world as most the shots look ok exported - but some of the panning/moving shots from the 59.94 footage 'chop' a little in the movement. It could also be the rolling shutter of the A7sii?

I was thinking I might be able to fix some with twixtor and motion blur - but if I copy the clips out of this timeline will they remain already badly converted?

I think I'm gonna learn my workflow lesson the hard way this time. Any tips?

Thanks for you consideration,

Lewis

12093_frameratetest.mp4.zip

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: Framerate Headache
on Jan 22, 2018 at 11:48:01 pm

Okay, a few things:

Maybe consider doing a Modify > Interpret Footage to your 23.976 media so it plays nice with your 24p media? That would eliminate one source of headache.

As far as 59.94 media goes, if Frame Sampling is set as your time interpolation setting, you're going to see some stutter in the footage as it samples roughly every 1.5 frames--essentially, it's kind of like using a faster shutter on your 24p media. You might need to try using Frame Blending on a shot-by-shot basis; shots with lots of movement may benefit from Frame Blending, but not so much stationary stuff.

Now, this is the craziest idea of all, but stay with me.

What if you edited your timeline to account for the 24p to 25p conversion, and then conformed your 24p timeline to 25p after exporting at 24p? Thereby limiting the amount of interpolation artifacts, and allowing for a cleaner end result.

You can calculate the ideal sequence length using: https://toolstud.io/video/framerate.php For example, a 60-second sequence contains 1440 frames at 24p; convert to 25p, and 1440 frames becomes 57.60 seconds. So if you go the other way, you find that 1500 frames in 24p, or 62.5 seconds, conforms to 60 seconds at 25p.

Anyway, maybe it's too late for all that. But it's a thought.

Return to posts index

Lewis Lloyd
Re: Framerate Headache
on Jan 23, 2018 at 1:11:39 pm

Hi Blaise,

thankyou very much for your reply! It might be a bit late now as I already had to send to the colourist. But I may be able to fix one or two things after the grade - I fixed that pan a little with pixel motion blur, but these are all top tips I'll have to try out!

Thanks,

Lewis

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]