FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transcodng to a similar file size and format as my native footage

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryce Douglass
Transcodng to a similar file size and format as my native footage
on Jan 16, 2018 at 11:44:12 pm

Hello,

my camera films in ACVHD .mts files. My camera records in 28mbps max in 24 and 30 fps. I've tried exploring transcoding before but all the codecs/formats given to me built into premiere etc are DNXHD or Cineform which takes a 400MB file and turns it into a whopping gig. I would like to retain a similar file size and quality as the original. I film documentaries and often times don't need half the footage on my editing drive but as of now have to because I can't find a right format to transcode to.

I'm using a Windows 10 computer.

Bryce

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Transcodng to a similar file size and format as my native footage
on Jan 17, 2018 at 12:29:41 am

[Bryce Douglass] "I would like to retain a similar file size and quality as the original."

Here's the thing -- it's not what happens to your footage as you're editing, but what happens to the image quality when you export.

Sure, you can probably transcode to something more closely matching the original bitrate, but you have to understand that your camera originals already have the bejeezus compressed out of them as you shoot. If you were to cut & export at that bitrate, the image quality would take a substantial hit upon export.

So what do you do? Transcode and have plenty of storage. Of all the hardware you have, storage is perhaps the cheapest, and the cost per gigabyte keeps going down & down.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 17, 2018 at 12:47:11 am

I work in documentaries too, and reality (where easily only 1/100 of what is shot is used). This is why the offline/online workflow is good. And premiere Pro has a good on. Convert to proxy media and instantly switch back and forth between that and the master footage. So I'd recommend that workflow.

The reason your footage takes up so little space is that it is highly compressed. Editing with that format takes a lot of UMPH because decoding it on the fly takes power. On the other hand, codecs that are good for editing have a higher data rate, because they aren't so compressed...so they are easier for the computer to deal with.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bryce Douglass
on Jan 17, 2018 at 1:58:06 am

so you are saying I can't export what I need and only ingest that into premier? My issue is all the .mts files are labeled weird like 0000.mts etc and I want to label my clips so that both the footage on my hard drive and premiere project are the same name like "Interview with John" but I also don't want all the multiple takes of the interview just the take I want. Sometimes I go back and interview later until I get what i need and I only want to ingest the interview I need and not have 4 other interviews on my hard drive that I'm never going to use.

Bryce

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]