FORUMS: list search recent posts

What format should outside editor provide me?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared Roddy
What format should outside editor provide me?
on Jan 16, 2018 at 10:19:15 pm

Apologies for the noob post:

What format of a file should someone send me, so that I can edit it/add it to an existing commercial?
We are adding the local Rep endings to a (low budge) commercial: 25 sec commercial, 5 sec rep ending.

I have Premiere Pro CC on a PC (I hate it) its my work computer.
I have the bulk of the commercial from a studio which came in as mp4 (is this high enough quality to start with? its 1920x1080p)

Then, I'm receiving dozens of little stingers to add to the end - basically "Call so and so if you're here" or "Call so and so if y ou're here" each with their own 5 second video clip.

The guy doing the "stingers" (I have no other name for them) is also clearly a noob, as he's uploaded them to youtube and thinks that's the file I can use to edit. They're also FAR too long, so I'll need to cut and maybe move some things around and work with the audio.

First of all, I don't think I can download from someone else's youtube account and receive a file that's high enough quality to edit (maybe I'm wrong?)

If I'm right, what format should this guy export to, to send to me to add to these mp4s?
And should I have asked for something other than mp4 from the studio?

So many thanks!!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: What format should outside editor provide me?
on Jan 16, 2018 at 11:27:50 pm

Mp4 is a highly compressed FINAL DELIVERY format, mainly for the web. And there are various MPEG-4 broadcast formats, and there are some cameras that shoot to that format...but a file for you to edit should not be MP4. They really need to provide you with either ProRes 422, ProRes HQ, or DNxHD.

The file you upload to YouTube is not one that you should have to make edits and additions to.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: What format should outside editor provide me?
on Jan 17, 2018 at 12:58:13 am

As a guy who has tagged (that's what it's called -- tagging) literally thousands of spots & promos over the years, I can both feel your pain and tell you you're going about it the wrong way.

First -- if you can't get the spots in something other than mp4, you'll have to deal with it -- it's a low-budget outfit! But I'd push for something better if they want to see something better on the air.

Second -- who's the putz making the tags? Doesn't this genius understand the concept of time? A 4-5 second tag needs to be just that from first audio to last audio! If there is no compelling reason for someone else to do the tags, just get the announcer audio, make up some text to put over the end of the spots and do the tags yourself. If there's specified video, get it from Mr. Einstein -- have it put on a thumb drive or a hard drive & import it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]