FORUMS: list search recent posts

DV capture freezes at 27–28 seconds, no matter how long clip is supposed to be

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clare Fentress
DV capture freezes at 27–28 seconds, no matter how long clip is supposed to be
on Jan 15, 2018 at 12:14:48 am

Last week, in the middle of a capture session (until then going smoothly; I had captured clips of various sizes from various tapes), I stopped being able to capture a clip longer than 27–28 seconds.

Anything under this duration will capture fine; anything longer, the numerals following "Capture duration" at the top of the capture box will freeze at 27–28 seconds (always within this range, but at different numbers: 27.2 seconds, 27.8 seconds, etc.), but the tape will keep rolling until I hit escape or stop.

I am using Premiere Pro CC 2018, a Panasonic DVX 100b with Sony Premium Mini DV tapes, and a 2011 MacBook Pro running OS X El Capitan 10.11.6. Just replaced the entire logic board three weeks ago.

What I've tried:

- Captured from different tapes (same problem with all tapes).
- Restarted Premiere Pro and/or the computer multiple times.
- Quit all other applications during capture.
- Checked that there is sufficient space for capture on my hard drive (says there is 186 GB free).
- Checked that hard drive's rotational speed is high enough (yes; 7,200 rpm).
- Checked that Abort Capture On Dropped Frames option is disabled (it is).

Any ideas? Many thanks for reading and for your thoughts.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: DV capture freezes at 27–28 seconds, no matter how long clip is supposed to be
on Jan 15, 2018 at 6:21:37 am

The rpms have nothing to do with how fast the drive actually is. How is it connected? Have you tested the drive speed?

Return to posts index

Clare Fentress
Re: DV capture freezes at 27–28 seconds, no matter how long clip is supposed to be
on Mar 3, 2018 at 8:08:28 pm

Hello Tero, thanks for your response (and sorry for this very late reply—project got back-burnered unexpectedly).

I hadn't tested the drive speed; thanks for the suggestion. (It's the built-in hard drive that came with the MacBook). Just downloaded the Blackmagic Disk Speed Test. Here are the results:

To me, this suggests that I shouldn't be having any problems capturing DV tape via Premiere Pro (at least, not as a function of disk speed)—but perhaps I'm not reading the information correctly?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]