FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere Pro 2018 fixed yet?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
D j Harris
Premiere Pro 2018 fixed yet?
on Jan 12, 2018 at 5:39:41 pm

Hi, we had massive problems with the 2018 version of Premiere Pro, very sluggish (took seconds to respond to a single key press) and constant crashes. Because of this we reverted all our suites to CC 2017, which works fine, but of course we can't use any of the new features.

We do operate over a SAN network, but CC 2017 works fine in this way, and we still experienced lag and crashes when editing from a local drive. We're not using any strange formats (mostly shooting using an Fs7).

However it seems Adobe have gone a bit quiet - has everyone solved the problems they were having with CC 2018?
No updates seem available through the CC app - I am answerable to the company directors, so am I going to have to try and justify us spending a subscription fee on a platform where we are stuck with the 2017 version forever?

We are recent converts to CC (from Avid) and it was my idea to switch the whole company to Adobe, so I have to explain that decision - I thought CC2017 was good, but can I expect CC 2018 to ever be fixed, based on your past experience with Adobe?

Thanks

Dan

Return to posts index

greg janza
Re: Premiere Pro 2018 fixed yet?
on Jan 12, 2018 at 6:20:06 pm
Last Edited By greg janza on Jan 12, 2018 at 7:00:28 pm

Dan, sorry to hear that you've had so many problems with CC 2018.

Your assumption that CC 2018 is problematic for everyone though is incorrect. I'm on CC 2018 on Windows and I work almost exclusively with Sony FS7 footage and I have no issues. It works just as well as CC 2017.

Hopefully Adobe will release an update to 2018 soon. Until then you may need to assess if there's other issues in your workflow (i.e., the san) that are contributing to your problems.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 12, 2018 at 6:29:03 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jan 12, 2018 at 11:09:27 pm

[D j Harris] "We are recent converts to CC (from Avid) and it was my idea to switch the whole company to Adobe, so I have to explain that decision - I thought CC2017 was good, but can I expect CC 2018 to ever be fixed, based on your past experience with Adobe?"

Well, in my experience, here's Adobe's MO:
  • Initial release of a new version: laden with bugs! Don't touch it with a ten-foot pole!
  • 3-6 months later: first major bug fix. Most of the more egregious bugs are gone, but not the more exotic ones.
  • 3-4 months after that: second major bug fix. They've gotten a lot of the exotic bugs. But not every single one.
  • 2-8 months after that: the intitial release of a new version, and the process starts over again.

You see, new version release dates aren't determined by the people writing the software. They're determined by the Marketing Department, so they can hype new few features and lure in new renters. It doesn't matter to the Marketing Weasels whether the new features will actually work or whether they'll break previously-fine features. They want new stuff!

If that sounds like an insane way to run a software company, many would agree with you. But I suspect Adobe doesn't care -- you're now hooked on the software. They've got you by the short hairs.

Incidentally, I had our IT guy install CC 2017 about a week before the 2018 version came out. Nary a problem -- I got the last 2017 bug fix, and most of the kinks had been worked out. I was lucky on my timing.

Other people in my shop like to keep current, and I'll hear occasional comments like, "hey, why isn't this working?" I explain my theory as outlined above. And if I need to open a project they've worked on, I politely ask if they'll backsave to my version.

I believe in staying a version behind. It saves me a lot of grief. So when Adobe announces the release of CC 2019 or 2020 or whatever, it'll be time to upgrade to CC 2018.

Just curious -- what did you find appealing about Adobe over Avid? I'm running Media Composer 8.7.2 right alongside my CC 2017 applications.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

D j Harris
on Jan 15, 2018 at 10:20:29 am

Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses. Our fix for now is to just revert to cc2017. There may be things the cc2018 doesn't like about our SAN but cc2017 works fine, so CC2018 is effectively a downgrade for us.

The reason we switched was that I felt Adobe is better for our workflow - we're a small production company (shooting and post production) and most of our corporate jobs involve some level of After Effects work. The dynamic link is really useful to make quick changes (rather than the old procedure of having to create something in AE, export and import into Avid etc - then the client wants amends...

I'd have to say we also had problems with Avid, usually with the database and things going offline, crashing, or corrupted render files, and then you have to go through the whole 'find and replace' procedure - it was very time consuming. With Adobe cc2017 I found it to be quite reliable, stable and even if anything did go offline it was easy to fix.

To be honest, for our projects I'd still prefer Adobe but only cc2017, which worked more or less faultlessly for us, even over the SAN.

Thanks for the advice Dave, I think we'll also remain a version behind in future!

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jan 15, 2018 at 8:24:03 pm

CC 2018 is working fine on the Mac network using Synology NAS RAIDs.

We converted one nMP for testing and so far so good.

However, we leave all the major projects on one that works and so far were at CC 2015 on 2 seats and 1 with CC 2017.

Those are fine too.

I learned my lessons with Avid as far as updating too quickly.

Were still two versions behind with MC.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]