FORUMS: list search recent posts

Searching Dialogue in Script Schema Metadata

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Henke
Searching Dialogue in Script Schema Metadata
on Jan 9, 2018 at 10:42:26 pm

Project: A feature length documentary film that has 28 interviews spanning over the course of at least 30 hours.

Goal: To be able to search through my footage by key words/phrases that reoccur across multiple interviews.

What I thought would work was to use Adobe Story to embed my transcripts into the clip metadata. The Script Schema seems to have everything I would want; Scene Setting, Time of Day, Action, & Dialogue. When embedding a transcript from Adobe Story it auto completes this section with all of the appropriate information, but then when choosing what metadata displays in the bins there is no option for the Dialogue field. I also tried searching the Dialogue using the Ctrl/Cmd+F function, and while "Dialogue" does appear in the dropdown choices, the program does not actually search the information.

This means that each clip individually has dialogue metadata, but without being able to view it in the bins, the keyword search-ability concept is completely gone. It just seems silly to me that if you put the transcription where it is seemingly meant to go, you have no ability to search through it across clips -- which I feel is a huge aspect to having metadata in the first place.

So I am not sure if this is a bug or maybe I'm just missing something here? Is there a different way to search metadata across clips that I'm unaware of, not understanding or not implementing properly?

And if this is just an issue with the Script Schema, how do others overcome this barrier? The concept of searching your footage by word or phrase is not foreign, as Avid implements it very nicely. Does anyone have any advice on the best way to implement my transcripts into my workflow?

Thanks in advance!

-Andrew

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
Re: Searching Dialogue in Script Schema Metadata
on Jan 10, 2018 at 8:32:39 am

There was a speech analysis function in PP/Prelude that was removed a few versions ago. From memory the auto transcription bit got pulled but wasn’t very accurate. The ScriptSync style functionality (from transcript) should still be there as shown - https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/how-to/script-based-editing-premiere-s....

While it is no ScriptSync/PhraseFind, I’ve recently been using Subbits from VideoToolshed to create and search subtitles from timecoded transcripts.

The PNG files it creates have the text in metadata that populated the ‘description ‘ field in PP.

Thus I can search for words or phrases in the timeline, or in the png files themselves.

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Jan 10, 2018 at 8:38:34 am

Actually you need to roll back to v7 to get speech analysis https://helps.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/speech-analysis.html

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 10, 2018 at 4:25:30 pm

Rolling back that far brings to mind conflicts with the OS and even media containers & codecs.

You know, if Adobe had been able to actually deliver on what its Marketing Weasels promised, this could have been a neat feature and not just pie in the sky.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 11, 2018 at 6:08:14 pm

It want Adobe’s fault David, it was actually the fault of Nexidia, the 3rd party vendor who never improved the accuracy of their voice to text engine as promised.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 11, 2018 at 6:17:32 pm

Thanks for the clarification. Maybe Adobe ought to get in touch with Amazon....

"Alexa, transcribe this video clip."

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]