FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere Pro PC--Non-ProRes workflows

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Tomich
Premiere Pro PC--Non-ProRes workflows
on Jan 9, 2018 at 9:00:48 pm

Folks,

I am trying to figure out various Premiere workflows for our mixed Mac/PC world here at KGO-TV. We have lots of material archived or still being actively edited in ProRes, which the Macs are fine with. Currently, we have Quicktime 7 installed on many of our PC’s, but that will probably be problematic going forward, due to lack of support and security issues.

So, I am thinking that our sequence/preview format may well switch over to DNxHD 145, but then the question is, how best to set up Media Encoder to export high quality movies for continued editing or archiving. Any ideas? Since QT Player is still ubiquitous and easy to work with ‘round here (and I think that figuring out how to easily play DNxHD movies from the desktop with other apps will be a pain) I am leaning toward h264 as my final output codec. The question is—how best to set it up for max quality. When I experiment with the “Match Output-High Bitrate” default in Media Encoder, the result looks pretty good, but it is still undergoing something like a 10:1 compression or more.

Any other ideas/suggestions/cautionary tales?

Thanks,

Steve Tomich
KGO-TV Creative Services

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Premiere Pro PC--Non-ProRes workflows
on Jan 9, 2018 at 9:08:09 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jan 9, 2018 at 9:09:30 pm

I recommend that you talk to the engineering staff. I bet they'd have some good ideas.

But yeah, you can create a custom H.264 / MP4 preset in AME with a very high bit rate. The higher the bit rate, the less image degradation.

I'm at a Sinclair station, and they came up with a really good compression preset we use on our Avid machines. The newsroom's all-Avid. It's good enough to cut topical promos, compress & send to master control.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Premiere Pro PC--Non-ProRes workflows
on Jan 10, 2018 at 4:53:36 am

Premiere has internal encoder/decoder for some Quicktime codecs so you should be fine if you're using Prores. You can also install only the Quicktime components when installing the Quicktime player so you get access for the "legacy" codecs. Also Quicktime player is not a security risk unless you're opening some shady stuff from the internet.

I would not use h264 for anything else than a internet master and I would actually use DNxHD. You can get the Quicktime codec for that from Avid. It's free and it's multiplatform.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]