FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does rendering improve export?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris pike
Does rendering improve export?
on Jan 4, 2018 at 8:26:03 pm

I have some artifacts of my editing in the export. They are little blips of specks of black, that have no reason to be there. I wonder whether, if I render the project first, maybe PP will have an easier time exporting? I export for youtube.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Does rendering improve export?
on Jan 4, 2018 at 8:48:25 pm

No, if you are getting unwanted artifacts in the export, something is wrong.

Pre-rendering and then exporting with Use Previews checked is just going to add another generation of compression to the output, further degrading the quality.

Do you have any screenshots of the issue, or export settings that we can review?

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Jan 4, 2018 at 8:56:37 pm

Pre-rendering and then exporting with Use Previews checked is just going to add another generation of compression to the output, further degrading the quality.”

I don’t believe that’s true. By necessity the previews must match the export (typically ProRes or DNX) and thus the rendered parts of the timeline become copies.

It may also help the OP to chase down where his artifacts are coming from (specular highlights hitting a limiter?)

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Jan 4, 2018 at 9:15:41 pm

[Trevor Asquerthian] "I don’t believe that’s true. By necessity the previews must match the export (typically ProRes or DNX) and thus the rendered parts of the timeline become copies."

Actually, if you go look into your Sequence Settings, you can see what your preview is set to use. Either matching your sequence or using I-Frame MPEG. They DO NOT match your export settings. The export is whatever you make it. PPro has no idea what you will be exporting your sequence to.
TC

Return to posts index

chris pike
on Jan 4, 2018 at 9:48:31 pm

Thanks Jeff, for getting back to me. Yes, I have a green screen in the video, so I am doing a key. However, I'm not certain that the black bits are at the same time as the green screen. The black bits are flighty, like UFOs, but I will try to find them and get a screen shot of them. I'll get back to you in a couple hours.

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Jan 4, 2018 at 9:17:48 pm

Are you using a key in your sequence? I can't figure where black specs would appear from other than maybe a bad key... but if you could show us a frame of what you are talking about, that might help track down the problem.
TC

Return to posts index

chris pike
on Jan 4, 2018 at 9:50:24 pm

The black specks are flightly and unpredictable, but I will try to hunt them down with a screenshot. I'll get back to you soon.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 4, 2018 at 10:23:25 pm

"I don’t believe that’s true. By necessity the previews must match the export (typically ProRes or DNX) and thus the rendered parts of the timeline become copies."

Premiere can in certain circumstances do a "smart render" at export, but like you said the Preview and Export must match, which is not the case most of the time (maybe more common on Mac, ProRes to ProRes perhaps). For instance on a PC, the default preview render might be MPEG then exporting to H.264, so video is definitely getting transcoded twice then.

In any case, smart render would not "improve" the export, but only serve to keep the same quality as the preview was.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

John Heiser
on Jan 4, 2018 at 11:28:45 pm

"Use Previews" doesn't come into play unless you're using "Match Sequence Settings," and at that point it's simply compiling them into an identically-formatted file, not recompressing. If your previews are set to a mezzanine codec such as iFrame MPEG, ProResHQ or Cineform, they're pristine and ready.

It's extremely common (and good practice) to create a mezzanine-quality file as a master and use that to create deliverables. I set my sequences to have QuickTime ProResHQ previews, then export a master using "Match Sequence Settings" and "Use Previews." It's a huge time saver - a :30 commercial exports in a few seconds, a four-minute video well under a minute. I've even found it faster to export a mezzanine work-in-progress file to use for creating low-res h264 drafts for clients or colleagues, than to re-render effects-heavy parts of the timeline.

As for the specs in the green screen key, try exporting a pristine "match sequence" file first and check that for the artifacts.

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
on Jan 6, 2018 at 3:20:42 pm

[John Heiser] " If your previews are set to a mezzanine codec such as iFrame MPEG, ProResHQ or Cineform, they're pristine and ready."

iFrame MPEG is not pristine< its a lesser codec, only to be used when wanting a quick review.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS2/CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Michalis Agisilaou
on Jan 13, 2018 at 11:00:36 am

What if you are shooting both 1080p and 4k? What the sequence will match and how will this affect the export? You can't just always 'match sequence' and 'use previews' just to be faster. It's all situational.

Return to posts index

chris pike
on Jan 6, 2018 at 1:05:35 am

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question. I learned a lot about rendering. As for my original problem, I was seeing a black artifact that flashed on my screen. I saw it when it played in my timeline, and I saw it when I exported to Youtube. In the timeline, it sometimes appeared, and sometimes it didn't; it wasn't repeatable. On youtube, it always appeared. I believe the source of it was that I had two video tracks that were supposed to fade in at the same time. One track had a dip to white at the start, and the other hand a crossdissolve at the start. They should have both been dip to white. I think this discrepancy created the problem. When I rendered it, the problem went away. When I changed that both fades to dip to white, the problem went away. Thanks again for your help.

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
on Jan 6, 2018 at 3:18:57 pm

To answer the original question: render wont improve the video quality. It can improve render times when preview codec and export codec are the same.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS2/CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Jan 8, 2018 at 3:11:04 pm

Export codec and preview codec need to be the same??? Not what I've experienced.

I've tested this. Preview render on a short :15 sequence resulted in 1/3 of the export time than when I didn't select to use Preview Renders - both renders to h264 from an AVC Intra 100 sequence with Preview Renders that matched sequence.

Certainly preview and export settings should match for best quality and fastest export, but they don't need to match to get faster export.
TC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]