FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upgrade Graphics Card

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Susan Fielding
Upgrade Graphics Card
on Jan 3, 2018 at 4:02:55 pm

I recently started shooting 4k and delivering 1080. My PC is not keeping up, previews are terrible, Premiere crashes, etc. I am thinking I need to upgrade the graphics card but I'm not sure what to buy. PC specs below, would like to stay around the $1000 price point. Thank you in advance and Happy New Year!!

Dell Precision Tower 5810
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1607 v4 3.10 GZ
32 GB RAM
Windows 10 pro 64 bit
NVIDIA Quadro K2000
Running Premiere Pro CC 2017.1

Return to posts index

andy patterson
Re: Upgrade Graphics Card
on Jan 3, 2018 at 4:14:23 pm

I think your Xeon CPU only has 4 cores with hyper threading. Your best bet would an i7 Coffee Lake CPU and a GTX 1080 Ti. If you want to upgrade the CPU to at least a 6 cores (8 would be better) and then get a GTX 1080 Ti you should have a decent system. I think your NVIDIA Quadro K2000 only has 384 CUDA cores. That is indeed a big problem. Upgrading the GPU would help more than anything but the CPU is not really up to the task of 4K at full resolution either. Spending $1,000.00 on a a new GPU and using a mediocre CPU is not wise. Premiere Pro needs a good CPU and GPU both. The CPU plays back the video codecs and the GPU handles the effects. I hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 3, 2018 at 4:48:29 pm

The GTX 1080 is great for Premiere, but since your CPU is not quite up to standards, the GTX 1070 might be a good match for price/performance. As the GPU is used for scaling in Premiere, the 1070 or 1080 card should help out when editing UHD in an HD sequence.

Make sure you have fast, dedicated storage also and are not editing media off the C: drive.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Susan Fielding
on Jan 9, 2018 at 1:52:57 pm

I just installed the new 1070 ti... Thank you so much for the recommendation!! I do edit footage directly from the C drive. Is it more efficient to edit from an external drive? I am self-taught and was not aware of that.

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Jan 9, 2018 at 3:08:08 pm

Definitely. The C Drive is doing so much behind the scenes with apps, paging information between the drive and RAM, and a whole lot more. Best to edit from a dedicated drive. And don't forget backups. If you're hard drive failed, could you do without any of your video projects/media?
TC

Return to posts index

Susan Fielding
on Jan 9, 2018 at 3:11:02 pm

I have backups for the backups of my backups... lol. But I did not realize how much I am bogging down my C drive, Makes perfect sense though!! Do you have a recommendation for a dedicated drive just to edit from? Also, thank you again!! If it weren't for kind people such as yourself, I'd be so lost!!

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Jan 9, 2018 at 3:25:20 pm

There are a lot of opinions about this. Depends on your computer - what sort of connections you may have cards that can plug in, workflow, what kinds of files you usually work with, and how much media you typically work with.
My guess, if you are working on your C drive now, an external usb3 drive may be fine.
You could also look at external RAID 5 or 6. These will cost more, and you'll probably need a PCIe card, but will have better performance and data protection.
Good Luck!
TC

Return to posts index

Susan Fielding
on Jan 3, 2018 at 6:02:50 pm

Thank you for the suggestions!! I'm not in a position to upgrade my machine, but your input on the GPU is very helpful!

My Specs:
HP h8 Desktop
Six Core Processor: Intel i7 3820 3.60 GHz
Windows 7 64 bit
10 GB Ram
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7670
Vegas Pro 11.0 build 683

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Jan 3, 2018 at 6:55:54 pm

[Susan Fielding] "Thank you for the suggestions!! I'm not in a position to upgrade my machine, but your input on the GPU is very helpful!"

You could get a mediocre GTX 1060 or GTX 1050 and watch 4K at 1/2 and 1/4 resolution. I use a GTX 1060 and an old Haswell CPU. Your CPU probably will not decode 4K at full resolution anyhow. If you upgrade the CPU to a 6 core and bought a GTX 1080 Ti you could watch 4K at full resolution. If you don't have a 4K monitor 1/4 resolution will work just fine. Editing 4K at 1/4 resolution is not hard. Editing 4K at full resolution is. Can your system as of now even playback one layer of 4K at 1/4 resolution?

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Jan 3, 2018 at 8:10:39 pm

[andy patterson] "You could get a mediocre GTX 1060 or GTX 1050 and watch 4K at 1/2 and 1/4 resolution."

Guess that all depends on the flavor of 4k and data rate. Don't know what sort of storage it's coming off of... I didn't see that posted.
TC

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Jan 3, 2018 at 9:36:44 pm

[Todd Perchert] "[andy patterson] "You could get a mediocre GTX 1060 or GTX 1050 and watch 4K at 1/2 and 1/4 resolution."

Guess that all depends on the flavor of 4k and data rate. Don't know what sort of storage it's coming off of... I didn't see that posted.
TC"

Striping 5 or 6 hard drives together would be wise if he is editing Pro Res or R3D files. If it is 4K of h.264 at 120-200 mbps he should be OK with one drive although 2 striped together wouldn't hurt.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 9, 2018 at 3:29:48 pm

For external desktop video drives, look at brands that are meant for media work such as Glyph, G-Technology and LaCie. They do have fast, single 7200rpm drives available at a decent price. If the budget is really tight, these are certainly better than trying to use the C: drive (never recommended).

What kind of 4k are you dealing with? It might be just 100mbps, or could be ProRes or similar format that going to create much, much larger files and the higher data rate of such files will require faster drives to keep up (RAID as Andy said).

A RAID is not a bad idea anyway regardless of footage being edited - faster drives never hurt anyone! At a minimum, look for a 2-drive RAID 0 setup. The data is not protected, but 2 drives working together are much faster than a single drive. For instance, G-Tech G-RAID, Glyph Studio RAID, and LaCie 2big units.

There are also 4-drive RAID units which are faster yet, and most of them will then also offer RAID 5 mode, which does offer protection in the event of a single drive failure.

And you have to consider the interface. If your PC is a few years old, then most likely looking at using USB 3.0. Many newer drives have Thunderbolt 3 now, but that won't apply to you. But a USB-C interface will work since it is also compatible with USB 3.0 ports (they will will include a cable for that).

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

manish choudhary
on Jan 15, 2018 at 6:39:54 pm

Here is the article from PUGET SYSTEMS about Hard drive setup for adobe prpro.
they tell in detail about setup of drives really helpfull to everyone and me too.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Premiere-Pro-CC-2015-4-Sto...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]