FORUMS: list search recent posts

adding a new SMPTE timecode track to QT clips using Premier Pro

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lang Walker
adding a new SMPTE timecode track to QT clips using Premier Pro
on Jan 1, 2018 at 9:50:45 pm

We are a digital effects shop that creates clips for a lot of live events which end up played back in Watchout or d3.

Every once in a while, one of our AV partners will request that we provide our QT movie(s) with SMPTE timecode added as a guide track (to one of the extra audio tracks -- not as a visual burn-in to the video track). This always has to do with them wanting to coordinate lighting effects along with our clips.

The only way we've found to do this is by generating a TC track via the website http://elteesee.pehrhovey.net and then using Final Cut 7 (yes, that old workhorse) to add extra audio tracks under "Sequence Settings" and then map the TC WAV file to one of those tracks and re-eport the QT.

Is there a way to use Premier Pro (or any other current software tool) to add an SMPTE track to an existing QT clip on its own channel (i.e.: not burnt into the stereo audio) ?

thanks!

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: adding a new SMPTE timecode track to QT clips using Premier Pro
on Jan 2, 2018 at 1:40:53 am

https://www.videotoolshed.com/handcrafted-timecode-tools/qtchange/

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Jan 2, 2018 at 4:02:30 am
Last Edited By Brent Marginet on Jan 2, 2018 at 4:23:24 am

QTChange does not add an LTC Audio Track it just allows one to alter or add embedded TC to a video file.
LTC Generator is what you will need to add LTC Audio.

https://www.videotoolshed.com/product/ltc-generator/

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jan 2, 2018 at 4:24:07 am

Thank you. My apologies, I pasted the wrong link.
Same developer. I have both apps.

J

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Jan 2, 2018 at 4:49:06 am

I forgot to say that LTC Generator will also allow you to create BWF LTC Audio files that you can bring into Premiere and cut into an Audio Track as well. All around it's a great little utility for LTC Audio. I just wish that it auto detected the length of a video file instead of manually entering it so that the LTC doesn't accidentally run shorter or longer than the Video file.

I generally pad these Video Files with 1 second of head black and then round off the end so that the length of the file is say 19:23:00 or 19:24:00 instead of 19:22:12 as an example. I've never had a complaint when I do it that way so I thought I would pass that on to you. Just be very careful that you set the TC to the same frame rate as the video.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Jan 2, 2018 at 10:15:05 am

[Brent Marginet] "I just wish that it auto detected the length of a video file instead of manually entering it so that the LTC d"

Hi Brent,
Can you elaborate on this? It 'should' do auto detect the length, and I can't think of a way you can set the duration manually if you want to insert into a QT. Now, if you want just a single BWF clip, then you have to enter start and duration.

Bouke
http://www.videotoolshed.com

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Jan 2, 2018 at 5:47:08 pm

Sorry I was wrong about the length detection.
It does of course detect the proper Video length.
I haven't used it for a bit and I believe that I was thinking about one of the versions that had a bug in it where it was incorrectly detecting the run time of the video file. I just ran a quick test now and it correctly detected the run time of the video file that I gave it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]