FORUMS: list search recent posts

Masterclip LUTs intermittently stop displaying

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
Masterclip LUTs intermittently stop displaying
on Dec 22, 2017 at 6:36:42 pm

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before. We use a lot of ARRI Alexa footage and normally the LogC-to-Rec709 camera LUT is automatically applied by Premiere Pro as a masterclip effect by default. There are 7 machines on a shared network and intermittently, you can open a project that was fine the day before, and then on the next day, some of the clips no longer display the LUT. This happens on all of the machines on an occasional basis. The only solution seems to be to disable the masterclip effects for those clips and then reapply the LUT within Lumetri in the timeline. Are others seeing this and if so, any fix other than what we are doing? This has started with the CC 2018 version.

macOS 10.12.6 (Sierra)
Premiere Pro CC 2018 (version 12.0)

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

greg janza
Re: Masterclip LUTs intermittently stop displaying
on Dec 22, 2017 at 8:15:59 pm

I'm not sure if this is the same intermittent issue but I've found that when sharing Premiere Pro projects with my partner who does color work that the links with the LUTS on shots in the timeline often break and that when I open a project that has been worked on by another editor that I have to manually re-link the LUTs to clips. I think this problem has arisen due to our directly using the LUTs in the Lumetri panel on each edit system.

However, the solution to this issue may be to create a preset of a LUT and then instead of directly applying a LUT to clips, to instead apply the preset effect to the clips. The preset effect can then be easily shared between edit systems.

Here's a video done by the The Premiere Pro Blog that shows a solution to getting rid of the automatically generated masterclip LUTS on Amira footage.

http://www.thepremierepro.com/blog-1/2015/9/2/amira-luts-and-project-bloat

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 22, 2017 at 11:22:08 pm

Thanks. I don't think it's the exact same issue, but sounds pretty similar. In our case, these are the default LUTs added automatically by Premiere and not ones added n Lumetri. But I have had the issue you described in the past with older versions of Premiere.

In our case, it seems to affect projects that have both been opened on various machines, as well as those only opened on a single machine. However, in all cases, the project files live on our QNAP NAS. Occasionally those volumes mount in a way that Adobe apps see them as different volumes, requiring relinking. That might be completely unrelated, but also annoying.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Carlos Robles
on Apr 27, 2018 at 12:09:50 am

This happens to me all the time. Either it wont display the LUT within Premiere, or when I export it wont have it applied. Sometimes I put a LUT ontop of the existing one as a clip effect and the next time I open Premiere its back to working so I then have double the LUTs on. It's seemingly random, I havent been able to identify a way to trigger this bug. Maybe due to too many LUTs on too many clips? I wish there was a way to import the media without automatically applying the LUT.

Return to posts index

Carey Dissmore
on Aug 29, 2018 at 1:18:06 pm

Hi Oliver,
It's taken me awhile to get around to finding this threat but I also must report struggling with this same issue since about the time you reported it last December (or whenever the 2018 update hit). The issue for me is exactly as you describe. I work with several shooters who use Arri Amira and the master clip LUT that is supposed to come in from the camera and get mapped to Lumetri is there if you look for it--but it does not display. When the problem first started it was intermittent in the timeline, and now, perhaps after some CC updates, it seems persistent--in that the Master Clip LUTs do not display at all. Very frustrating. Been using a lot of workarounds but they are cumbersome and productivity-killing to what should be a slick workflow.

As an aside I'll mention that these LUTs end up not getting used in the final grades, but they are a great benefit to the editorial process.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 29, 2018 at 1:58:21 pm

[Carey Dissmore] "When the problem first started it was intermittent in the timeline, and now, perhaps after some CC updates, it seems persistent--in that the Master Clip LUTs do not display at all. "

Hmm.. At this end it has been happening a lot less. But when it does, the solution seems to be to remove all masterclip effects and then apply the LUT to the timeline clips within Lumetri. If you are using the default LUT, you can use a separate instance of Lumetri just for the LUT. However, that should be applied first in the effects stack. But in that scenario, you can use copy/past clip attributes to speed up the process. Do that first, color correct second. Or if you are only doing this for viewing during editorial, you could use an adjustment layer.

One area, where I absolutely lose the LUTs, is when I go from FCPX to Premiere Pro. On a recent project with a ton of footage, I used FCPX to melt down a bunch of footage into selects. That was then XML'ed over to Premiere Pro (using XtoCC) for the edit. This process appears to strip out the necessary metadata to turn on the automatic LUT from the camera files when you get into Premiere Pro.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]