FORUMS: list search recent posts

A workaround solution for the conflict between High Sierra and .mts files not recognized

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mickey Grant
A workaround solution for the conflict between High Sierra and .mts files not recognized
on Dec 15, 2017 at 11:00:39 am

I spent 2 hours with an Apple Support Senior Engineer tonight and many hour in the middle of the night last Sunday with them. The one today gave me a potentially good temporary workaround. You have to download VLC media player. Then you can drag the .mts file into the VLC and it opens fine. Well, that solves some of the problems. So, if any of you know how we can make Quicktime to default to this... Quicktime has a thing on the bottom when you right-click to choose default and it's applications. I've tried to make it default to VLC several times and it won't work. If any of you geniuses can figure that out, that would make it easy to continue our work on Premiere 2018. I want to be clear that this is not a Premiere 2018 problem. I understand that several Apple engineers raised flags just before the release of High Sierra that there were going to be problems in terms of video editing. Anyway, I appreciate the hard work they are doing now and taking responsibility.

Apple is going to be getting back to me tomorrow. They had to go to their lab while I was explaining this problem and several other senior techs were involved. They think they will have it solved shortly. I explained how many hundreds of editors this is affecting.

Mickey Grant

Return to posts index

Lauren Kaiser
Re: A workaround solution for the conflict between High Sierra and .mts files not recognized
on Dec 15, 2017 at 3:55:46 pm

Hi Mickey!

You can definitely make VLC the default to open your .mts files. This is how:

Locate a .mts file saved on your computer
Right click/control click on the .mts file
Select get info
Down about 3/4 of the way you see a drop down for "open with"
Select VLC
Then most importantly hit "Change All"
The should make it so that all documents of that same file type will be set to open with VLC

I hope that I've understood your question correctly and that this will help you!

Best,
Lauren

Return to posts index

Mickey Grant
Re: A workaround solution for the conflict between High Sierra and .mts files not recognized
on Dec 17, 2017 at 1:09:34 am

Thanks Lauren,

I bet it will work. My problem has been importing these mts files into Premiere as it won't seem to work. I'm doing your suggestion tomorrow. Mickey

Mickey Grant

Return to posts index

Mickey Grant
on Dec 17, 2017 at 8:52:29 pm

Lauren:

I did all of that and it worked but I can't get it to work from within Adobe Premiere 2017. Any suggestions?

Mickey

Mickey Grant

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Dec 17, 2017 at 11:07:20 pm

what happens when you attempt to import the mts files through the Adobe media browser?

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Mickey Grant
on Dec 18, 2017 at 6:26:56 am

The picture imports and plays but not the audio.

Mickey Grant

Return to posts index

Lauren Kaiser
on Dec 18, 2017 at 3:23:04 pm

Hmmm, when you originally get to the .MTS files are you importing them from the "STREAM" folder?

Return to posts index

Mickey Grant
on Dec 18, 2017 at 7:42:30 pm

I'm importing them like I have done so for years using media browser. All of this problem started when I moved up to High Sierra. My mts files would play any more so I then got VLC and they play now. High Sierra Quicktime is now built into the OS and doesn't play mts any more. So, I have that problem solved. I've cleaned my media cache. I've gone back to Premiere 2017 1.2 ver11. Adobe got rid of Dolby after that version. I've done everything. HELP?????

Mickey Grant

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Dec 18, 2017 at 7:56:00 pm

Mickey, if you could be a bit clearer about your problem maybe we can figure out a solution. If I understand you correctly, VLC plays the files fine with both video and audio. Adobe media browser also sees them and you can import them into Premiere but you don't have audio. Is that correct?

So the only problem you really have is to get the audio stream with the video in Premiere.

One possible workaround: Rename file from .mts to .m2ts

another option is to convert the .mts files into another format. Have you attempted to convert these files?

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Mickey Grant
on Dec 19, 2017 at 2:28:56 am

I just spent 4 hours on the phone with 2 Adobe tech's in India. They took over my screen... did everything I'd done... cache files, etc. Nothing worked. This problem has gone on for months and thousands of Adobe users have posted about it but no answers yet. If you have any ideas... HELP!!!! Mickey Grant

Mickey Grant

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Dec 23, 2017 at 4:10:47 pm

Transcode the files to some Codec that works in Premiere.

Use the free version of DaVinci Resolve, Handbrake or something like that to transcode them. Even try Transcoding them with Media Encoder to see if it keeps the audio intact.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]