FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re- Linking Changed File Names

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ellis Poleyko
Re- Linking Changed File Names
on Dec 12, 2017 at 2:56:20 am

I am creating a film for my university thesis project and am facing a major issue! Upon shooting, our DOP did not realize that many of the file names of different clips would be the same (ex. we have four different 00034.MTS clips that were shot on different days).

Upon re-opening project files, clips from different cameras and different scenes often get imported to the sequence. This sometimes takes hours to sort out and we are at a loss for a solution. I have figured out how to batch re-name clips, however since the scenes are already cut, I can not figure out how to get premiere to recognize the new file names instead of the old. There must be a solution better than separately importing each newly named clip. Our film is almost 50 minutes and this is due on December 15th so we do not have enough time before the deadline to do this.

Do you have any solution? We will be in the RCC lab every day leading up to the deadline if anyone is around to help us.

Thank you so much.

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
Re: Re- Linking Changed File Names
on Dec 12, 2017 at 4:46:32 am

This problem would not have been caused by the DOP, this is caused by crappy cameras that shot AVCHD.
These cameras have no way to define what the file names are going to be and generally start at 00001.mts every time a new card is put in them. Some of these cameras will even start at random numbers when the next card is inserted in them.

Renaming the files is not an option and will cause you more problems than relinking the files manually.
Hopefully the Cards have been offloaded to a well organized folder structure and the clips imported into Premiere in separate bins that are very well separated and organized. Each card should be offloaded to named sequential folder names and imported into separate bins named the same as the folder they are in to make them easy to find and relink.

Either way manually relinking the clips with there original file names will be your only option because once the filenames are changed no NLE will relink to them properly or at all. If you've renamed them you will have to give them there original filenames or import the files again and recut them in.

Sorry but this is the hard way to learn that clean organized folder and bin structures are an absolute must, especially when there are clips with duplicate filenames.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Re- Linking Changed File Names
on Dec 12, 2017 at 6:56:13 am

Yeah this is one of those things that should be dealt with before the edit or better yet before the shoot. If the footage does not have unique file names/timecode/reel names then they should be transcoded to a better format with that information. If the files have unique identifiers you can easily see what's happening.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]