FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing SD of HD

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerwin de keijzer
Editing SD of HD
on Dec 11, 2017 at 7:20:55 pm

Hi there,

We are a small non-profit broadcasting organisation inside a hospital.
We maken promo-movies and instructional items.

Our camera, a Sony PDW530, SD with XDCam disc creates stunning pictures.

We sometimes get some external footage from a handycam or actioncam.
As we all know, the pictures from these camera get better and better every generation.

In our editing, we would like to combine both sources thus having to choose how to deal with the different formats.

So, my question. Upscale our SD material to HD and edit? or downscale the HD content and create a SD sequence in PPro.

Our audience more and more want DVD or BR. For BR we need higher quality. Can we achieve higher output using our SD and good upscaling?

Regards,

Gerwin

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Editing SD of HD
on Dec 11, 2017 at 8:04:32 pm

Upscaling SD to HD...here is the list of best quality way of doing it to least quality way...

1) Hardware upscale...TERRANEX from BlackMagic design.
2) After Effects upscale.
3) Premiere Pro upscale in the timeline.
4) Transfer it to a VHS tape, have your dog chew on it, and then capture that as HDV, convert to H.264 five times.

Don't do #4.

So the options you have already are After Effects and Premiere. They upscale decently, but your footage will still look like SD (softer) next to the HD footage, nothing you can do about that. But making it look better is the goal....

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Gerwin de keijzer
on Dec 11, 2017 at 9:02:04 pm

Haha, LOL for option 4.

1) No option (yet)
2) Ok, that might do the trick. I'll try some footage
3) Equals 2
4) hehe

Any plugins that might do the job quicker or better?

Thanx for the suggestions so far.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Dec 11, 2017 at 9:36:27 pm

If you will be delivering as SD (DVD), then perhaps keep the production workflow as SD. For instance, if you put SD clips into an HD sequence, they get upscaled (= soft). Now if you export to DVD (SD) you are taking the SD video that was upscaled (softened already) and then converting it from HD back to SD = not pretty compared to exporting SD straight to DVD. No sense upscaling unless you must deliver HD.

If you DO need to deliver as HD, can you use 720p rather than 1080p? Even if the "other" sources are 1080p, maybe downscale those to 720p, then the SD won't have to be blown up as far as it would require if editing as 1080. A compromise.

Meaning make a 720p Sequence in Premiere, and mix the 1080p and SD clips in it, and export as 720p. The HD clips will still be HD and look great, and the upscaled SD clips won't look as obvious as they would in a 1080p export.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Richard Martz
on Dec 11, 2017 at 10:00:41 pm

As far as I know, DVD and BR discs are no longer supported by Adobe or Apple. Toast Titanium has some rudimentary authoring capability. Stay out of SD world because everything will ultimately be HD and SD will be abandoned as it already has in some places. If you can't deliver HD your organization will go around you to get things done when quality counts (as in marketing and fund-raising efforts). Once you are seen as second-rate your days of employment are numbered. Sell that SD camera and get something in HD even if it is only a basic set up. If your employer won't buy it, consider purchasing it yourself. You'll need it anyway when you go freelance.

Sincerely,
Richard Martz

MagicMartz Media, Inc.
BrikPower Batteries
Atlanta, GA

FCP X
Panasonic GH4 4K cameras with Cinema Lenses and XLR/SDI/TImecode units
ADOBE CREATIVE SUITE CC
Premiere Pro
DaVinci Resolve 9.0
MAC 12 core w 64GB memory
After Effects
PhotoShop
Illustrator
Sony HD Cameras
24' Camera Crane with Motorhead
8' jib arm
20K watts of lighting
Multitrack audio
Teleprompters
Grip Truck/trailer
Location video monitoring
Door and hood mounts
Lots of other Fun Stuff!

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Dec 11, 2017 at 10:22:59 pm

[Richard Martz] "As far as I know, DVD and BR discs are no longer supported by Adobe or Apple."

I think you can still download Premiere Pro 6. Encore comes along for the ride and works with Premiere Pro CC.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Dec 12, 2017 at 6:58:08 am

[Richard Martz] "As far as I know, DVD and BR discs are no longer supported by Adobe or Apple."

Encore still works. At least on Windows. You can get that by installing Premiere CS6.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 11, 2017 at 11:24:17 pm

Red Giant has one...

https://www.redgiant.com/products/instant-4k/

It's OK...doesn't match what I get with Terranex, and is comparable to After Effects.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Dec 12, 2017 at 2:35:08 am

after effects cc has 'Detail Preserve Upscale' which is comparable to instant 4k or anything with smart unsharp bicubic interpolation.

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Dec 11, 2017 at 9:45:55 pm

[Gerwin de keijzer] "So, my question. Upscale our SD material to HD and edit? or downscale the HD content and create a SD sequence in PPro."

It is personal choice. Is there more SD or HD content? Can you create two movies/videos? One SD and the other HD? You don't have to enlarge SD to fit the full screen of HD. You might be able to place motion graphics in the background to create a boarder and leave the SD scaled at 100% or upscale to 120% to 150% if needed. It will be very very important for you to see you composition on a broadcast monitor as opposed to the computer screen if you plan on outputting to DVD or BD. You also might be able to get away with placing two SD video clips side by side to help fill up the HD screen. There are a lot of options. It sounds like there might be some trial and error involved.

[Gerwin de keijzer] "Our audience more and more want DVD or BR. For BR we need higher quality. Can we achieve higher output using our SD and good upscaling?"

In that case I highly suggest you purchase an Intensity Shuttle by Blackmagic Design because you really need to see the composition on broadcast compliant hardware as opposed to your computer screen. It will be money well spent as demonstrated in the video below.

Return to posts index

Johnny Briggs
on Apr 20, 2018 at 1:52:04 pm

Premiere Pro you can use the Detail-preserving Upscale effects in After Effects vua Dynamic Link is a great way to upscale SD footage to HD without losing too much quality.
This short tutorial explains how you can do this:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]