FORUMS: list search recent posts

whose using the MOST RAM for online editing?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rachael Busher
whose using the MOST RAM for online editing?
on Dec 10, 2017 at 5:36:05 am

I am wanting to buy a used workstation in the not-far-off future with the plan for it to be my main video editing workstation for perhaps the next 5 years or so. I am curious how much RAM capacity I should plan on supporting because I am not a very advanced user yet but I plan to be within a few years. I am curious about how severely RAM usage grows taking into separate account complexity of operations, resolution/format (going from HDV to 4k raw for instance), and even multitasking - I often use Photoshop for things like making lower thirds instead of what's built into Premiere already but I may need to do more advanced operations as my future needs increase. (I am currently a college student learning as I go)

I currently use 24gigs for fairly simple editing with 1080p video and don't have any complaints. I see recommendations of at least 32gigs for 4k video and some say 64gigs or even more for those who edit 4k regularily. I am not sure if this is for "full res previews" (because I dont mind editing at 1/4th or even smaller anyways especially as source resolution goes up) or if that affects RAM usage all that much, but with everything going to 4k and even more (considering in the future a Panasonic GH5 which apparently shoots 6k, and I assume 8k is just around the corner and would like to eventually edit that with the same machine) combined with multitasking and rising skills/complexity of operations i'm curious whether a max of 64gigs supported on a motherboard is "future proof enough" for 6k to 8k video, or whether to look at workstations capable eventually of 96gigs, 128gigs, or even 192gigs. I always used to think 24gigs would be more than i'd ever need but I assume everything will just continue to grow and grow.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved