FORUMS: list search recent posts

High Sierra doesn't recognize AVCHD files and Premiere 2018 makes it worse

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mickey Grant
High Sierra doesn't recognize AVCHD files and Premiere 2018 makes it worse
on Dec 9, 2017 at 7:20:15 am

I'm totally frustrated. For most of the past 7 years I have used Adobe, and for 10 years prior to that, Avid. I have some very long-term feature-length docs. I upgraded to High Sierra like an idiot. High Sierra doesn't recognize any of my many .mts files. I was also an idiot for upgrading to Premiere 2018. I've lost a huge amount of edit time now. What do I do? Adobe really upset me when I finally got someone on the phone. They simply blamed the Apple OS. I can't find an answer anywhere. If I go back to "Sierra", do I lose everything on my main drive? I've never done that. I'm completely at a loss and I've spent days reading discussion boards. There are literally thousands of editors who are having this problem and Adobe doesn't seem to understand this.

Mickey Grant

Return to posts index

greg janza
Re: High Sierra doesn't recognize AVCHD files and Premiere 2018 makes it worse
on Dec 10, 2017 at 6:22:59 am

first step, roll back your Premiere to 2017. Next up, try to open the mts files in another player like vlc or switch. If they open without issue it's probably an issue with quicktime.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Mickey Grant
on Dec 10, 2017 at 10:24:47 am

I easily can re-install Premiere 2015 but can't figure out how to roll back to 2017. Also, when you check the Adobe boards, you'll see literally hundreds of people are having this problem.
a question: How can I roll back my Apple OS to Sierra? And, if I do so, what do I lose? Most posters have done all of this, rolled back Premiere and it still doesn't work. At least I'm not the only person with this problem, appears it's everyone that updated. And, yes, it appears to be Quicktime. Apparently, Apple doesn't want to support AVCHD files anymore and now Quicktime if built into the actual OS as of High Sierra. A large number of editors out there are using MTS files and this is creating such a big stink that it would seem like Apple would address it instead of hiding from it.

Mickey Grant

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Dec 10, 2017 at 3:17:25 pm

[Mickey Grant] "I easily can re-install Premiere 2015 but can't figure out how to roll back to 2017."

If you go to your Adobe Desktop application and choose Apps and then click on the disclosure arrow next to Premiere Pro, you will see the option to install "Other Versions".

This will allow you to install 2017 v.11.1.4.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Mickey Grant
on Dec 15, 2017 at 10:54:40 am

I spent 2 hours with an Apple Support Senior Engineer tonight. She gave me a potentially good temporary workaround. You have to download VLC media player. Then you can drag the .mts file into the VLC and it opens fine. Well, that solves some of the problems. So, if any of you know how we can make Quicktime to default to this... Quicktime has a thing on the bottom when you right-click to choose default and it's applications. I've tried to make it default to VLC several times and it won't work.

Apple is going to be getting back to me tomorrow. They had to go to their lab while I was explaining this problem and several other senior techs were involved. They think they will have it solved shortly. I explained how many hundreds of editors this is affecting.

Mickey Grant

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Dec 16, 2017 at 6:50:34 am

Do the mts files import into Premiere ok? If so, then just use vlc or another app like switch for looking at those at the finder level until there's an Apple quicktime fix.

And if you want vlc to be your default app to open these files just get info on one of the mts files and assign vlc to open it and then select change all.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Mickey Grant
on Dec 21, 2017 at 2:54:10 am

Thanks, I did that. Problem is, when I try to import to Adobe Premiere, either 2017 or 2018, it doesn't work. Like I've mentioned, Prelude 2015 works fine but then I can't import into Premiere so that makes no difference.

Mickey Grant

Return to posts index

Mickey Grant
on Dec 21, 2017 at 2:51:49 am

Thanks, 2017 doesn't work but Prelude 2015 does, but it won't import to Premiere.

Mickey Grant

Return to posts index

Mickey Grant
on Dec 21, 2017 at 2:50:31 am

2017 didn't work. It worked before I upgraded my OS to High Sierra. By accident, I discovered that my Prelude 2015 does work but that doesn't do me any good as when I move it to Premiere, I have the same problem.

Mickey Grant

Return to posts index

Mickey Grant
on Dec 21, 2017 at 2:55:51 am

Just a note, I downloaded the 30 day free Final Cut, and it doesn't work either.

Mickey Grant

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Dec 21, 2017 at 5:51:24 am

Mickey, it would be much easier to help you solve your problem if you would state what exactly your problem is.

When you say that FCPX and Premiere 2018 don't work, you're just referring to the importing of the .mts files?

Have you attempted to transcode those mts files into a friendlier codec like pro-res? And have you done a clean install of High Sierra?

- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Bart Vanhaeren
on Jan 1, 2018 at 4:08:22 pm

AVCHD media (including the .MTS files contained in there) use AC3 audio tracks.
Check if you have an older A52Codec.component installed in /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components. Remove it as AC3/A52 codecs are build-in to macOS nowadays. After rebooting, AVCHD import should work fine again.

The third party software Perian installes this incompatible version of an AC3 codec in the components folder, so uninstalling these might have the same effect.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]