FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capture from Sony j-H1?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dale Kutzera
Capture from Sony j-H1?
on Dec 8, 2017 at 3:16:32 am

Got no response on the archive forum so reposting here:

I have a bunch of old HDCAM tapes I hope to capture and store on a hard drive. I've found a Sony J-H1 deck. What's the process to hook this up to a Mac and capture the footage with Premiere? I understand a video capture card may be required. If so, what kind? Thanks for any advice.

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
Re: Capture from Sony j-H1?
on Dec 8, 2017 at 3:52:46 pm
Last Edited By Brent Marginet on Dec 8, 2017 at 3:54:34 pm

Buy yourself something like a BlackMagic Decklink Card.
If you don't want to buy new then search eBay.
If you do buy something on eBay don't purchase anything older than an Extreme 3D+.
Also make sure to ask the seller if all of the original Cable Harnesses are included.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Dale Kutzera
on Dec 8, 2017 at 11:55:33 pm

Thanks. I'll look for one of those cards. Are there other brands or varieties of cards that get the job done for less $$$.

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Dec 9, 2017 at 12:37:08 am

There are AJA, Matrox, Bluefish and several other brands of cards or interfaces but BlackMagic seems to have the most cost effective units. You need something that can handle HD with the JH-1 Deck so don't cheap out.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 9, 2017 at 1:25:40 am

What Brent said. Blackmagic is the least expensive options out there. NOW, the one you get depends on your computer. Do you need an internal card that fits in a slot, or do you have a Thunderbolt connection? Make sure you get one that can connect to your computer.

Yeah, when dealing with high end video from HDCAM, you can't get a $50 card...but the cheapest they offer is $145...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dale Kutzera
on Dec 9, 2017 at 1:35:26 am

Thanks. I appreciate the help. Normally I'd go to a video house for this but the quotes I got here over a grand. And I have seen cheap video cards like this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-Express-x1-PCI-E-FireWire-1394a-IEEE1394-Contr...

But assume they are the wrong type for this setup.

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Dec 9, 2017 at 2:03:13 am

That’s not going to work.
The JH-1 comes in two versions, one with Component HD and the other with HDSDI outputs. If your JH-1 has the Component Outputs you will need a card with Analog Comoment Video inputs and Analog Audio inputs. In that case your going to have to spend at least $400. If it has the HDSDI Output then BM has a card that starts at $145 like Shane said.

Sorry but your not going to be able to digitize HDCam tapes with an $8 card.

Please post a picture of the rear of your decks connectors.

Return to posts index

Dale Kutzera
on Dec 9, 2017 at 3:01:23 am

See if this image works:

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Dec 9, 2017 at 3:44:00 am

I see BNC component connectors. Do you need full deck control?

Return to posts index

Dale Kutzera
on Dec 9, 2017 at 8:09:34 pm

I don't believe I would. I'm basically trying to archive some footage from tapes to a hard drive. And the original project was completed in 720p and I may want to someday reconstruct it in 1080. There are about 9 40-min tapes. I was thinking of just capturing everything but if space becomes an issue I could just capture selected takes. That may require more control of the machine. But if less control means there's a cheaper way to do capture I'm all for that.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 10, 2017 at 12:33:07 am

That has component and composite connections....so you'll need to get the more expensive Blackmagic Cards that accept Component inputs.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Dale Kutzera
on Dec 10, 2017 at 12:50:04 am

So the D3, Monitor, and RS232C plugs are no use in exporting HD?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 10, 2017 at 1:12:39 am

No...D3 is a data port, not sure what MONITOR is... The only video out ports on that are the Composite and Component. But the Component is HD. There is a such thing as Component HD. I have a monitor with HD COMponent inputs

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Dec 10, 2017 at 1:14:03 am

The BlackMagic Intensity may be a good option for you.
There's a USB 3 and Thunderbolt version available and they start at $200.

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Dec 10, 2017 at 11:14:34 pm

[Brent Marginet] "The BlackMagic Intensity may be a good option for you.
There's a USB 3 and Thunderbolt version available and they start at $200."

As long as he gets the BNC to RCA adapters I think it should work. The only thing is the Intensity Pro 4K can offer capture of 1920 X 1080P at 60 FPS. The Intensity Shuttle will not capture 1920 X 1080 at 60 FPS. Not sure if 60 FPS is needed or not. I also think you can purchase the BNC breakout cables separately with the Intensity Pro 4K version.

The video below might be worth watching.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 11, 2017 at 2:22:56 am

[andy patterson] "The Intensity Shuttle will not capture 1920 X 1080 at 60 FPS. Not sure if 60 FPS is needed or not."

The only 60fps tape format there is is 720p60. 1080 on tape is always 29.97 or 23.98.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Dale Kutzera
on Dec 11, 2017 at 3:40:06 am

Thanks. I'll look for an Intensity card. Still overall much cheaper than having a house transfer all these tapes.

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Dec 11, 2017 at 4:24:51 am

[Shane Ross] "[andy patterson] "The Intensity Shuttle will not capture 1920 X 1080 at 60 FPS. Not sure if 60 FPS is needed or not."

The only 60fps tape format there is is 720p60. 1080 on tape is always 29.97 or 23.98."

I am hip. I think the Intensity Shuttle will work OK. I am just hinting that for the price it might be better to get the Intensity Pro 4K because it has a lot more options than the Shuttle. I admit you would need an empty PCIE X4 slot.

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Dec 11, 2017 at 5:11:58 am

HDCam cannot do 60 progressive fps the max it can do is 60i so the Intensity Shuttle will be perfect for his needs.

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Dec 11, 2017 at 5:25:28 pm

Just as an FYI, the Monitor Output on that deck is for a VGA Computer Monitor.
I believe that it worked with a 1024x768 Monitor but if I remember correctly the video looked pretty bad through any monitor.

Return to posts index

Dale Kutzera
on Dec 11, 2017 at 11:53:09 pm

Yeah I 've hooked the deck to a monitor via that output and happily the deck works fine, but the video is rather "speckly" for whatever reason.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 12, 2017 at 1:09:42 am

Yeah, that's more of a way to see what is on the tape, not any way to capture or critically judge.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]