FORUMS: list search recent posts

Thinking of making the switch from Mac to PC. Any opinions based on personal experience?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olivier Prudhomme
Thinking of making the switch from Mac to PC. Any opinions based on personal experience?
on Dec 7, 2017 at 3:59:25 pm

My budget is $1300 which doesn’t really gets me the 27inch IMac
I found gaming PCs for that price loaded with i7, gtx 1070 and 32gb of ram
I’ve never worked with a PC but it seems Windows 10 is now more intuitive and user friendly

To avoid the whole Mac vs PC debate i think replies should be done by people who actually use PCs and the ones who did the switch.. but it’s a forum so of course everyone can contribute

Thx

Los Angeles - TV Promo Editor - FCP - AVID

Return to posts index

greg janza
Re: Thinking of making the switch from Mac to PC. Any opinions based on personal experience?
on Dec 7, 2017 at 5:04:14 pm

I made the switch just over a year ago with no regrets.

A few suggestions to make the switch as smooth as possible:
1. go to the Adobe hardware forum and get recommendations on the best possible system for your budget. There are numerous options.
2. If you can stretch your budget a bit you can also have Thunderbolt3.
3. The main hurdle in making the switch is getting used to the endless myriad of settings on the PC side as opposed to the simple system
preferences on Mac. Watch tutorials to get up to speed.
4. If your workflow has always involved Quicktime and Pro-res, get up to speed with the equally high-quality DNxHD codec.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Olivier Prudhomme
Re: Thinking of making the switch from Mac to PC. Any opinions based on personal experience?
on Dec 7, 2017 at 9:48:40 pm

[greg janza] "2. If you can stretch your budget a bit you can also have Thunderbolt3."

isn't this the kind of things PCs allow you to install later? Which would be great because I agree I should have it

[greg janza] "3. The main hurdle in making the switch is getting used to the endless myriad of settings on the PC side as opposed to the simple system "

this is actually my biggest worry. I know Macs so well that I don't want to be stuck when a client is in my edit bay...

What is your current setting as far as graphic card?
I want to be ready to work with 4K which my brand new iMac failed to deliver on (hence being returned to bestbuy). I had to create proxies
As far as processor it seems that i7 is no brainer.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Dec 7, 2017 at 11:29:34 pm

[Olivier Prudhomme] "isn't this the kind of things PCs allow you to install later? Which would be great because I agree I should have it"

that's what i thought when i started looking to add TB3 to my system and I quickly discovered that for my system, TB3 compatibility required me getting a new motherboard. It's not a difficult process to swap out a motherboard though. You need to determine what CPU you're going to purchase and then find a motherboard that's compatible with that CPU and chipset.

Here's a list of TB3 motherboards:

https://thunderbolttechnology.net/products?tid=15&field_company_nid=All&fie...

I have an i7-5820k cpu and so I went with a gigabyte x-99p-sli motherboard. My system is pretty fast but my cpu is now a couple years old so you'll probably go with a newer CPU. Look at the specs of the motherboards and each will say what CPU's are compatible.

[Olivier Prudhomme] "I know Macs so well that I don't want to be stuck when a client is in my edit bay..."

This is the biggest challenge but I wouldn't let it stop you from going to a PC. Windows 10 has a graphical interface similar to OSX but where windows becomes a bit daunting is that many of the older windows settings which are located in the old school control panel are also still in use so it's a matter of getting used to two sets of control panels. This is where youtube will be your best instructor. The tips and tricks are endless as well as troubleshooting ideas.

[Olivier Prudhomme] "What is your current setting as far as graphic card?"

I have the GeForce GTX 970 and I'm very happy with it. At this point though you'll probably want the 980 card.

[Olivier Prudhomme] "I want to be ready to work with 4K which my brand new iMac failed to deliver on (hence being returned to bestbuy). I had to create proxies."

Eliminating proxies from my workflow was what started me on the conversion from mac to pc. My specs are now a couple of years old but I have no issues editing 4k in full res and with luts attached. The added part of the equation though is having fast drives/raid and a fast cache/render drive.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Dec 10, 2017 at 3:08:12 pm

[greg janza] "I made the switch just over a year ago with no regrets. "

Hi Greg,

I'd be really interested to hear how you have chosen your system, what types of media you are typically working with, and what if anything you would do differently if you were to do it today. Or not.

And are there applications that you use apart from Premiere that have give you issues?

Thanks in advance.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Dec 10, 2017 at 3:51:32 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "how you have chosen your system"

The process of switching from mac to pc was made much easier by the fact that I had a motion graphic artist friend who had built a custom PC for gaming and when I mentioned to him that I was interested in switching to PC he offered to sell me his system. He had multiple systems and so he was ok with parting with one. My friend had done all of the original work of finding the components and doing the initial build. In an earlier post in this thread Erik mentioned that gamers are driving the custom pc builds and I agree with that statement. A nice byproduct of gamers searching for the fastest possible system is that these same computers are ideal for video editing.

The custom built PC that I became owner of didn't have thunderbolt 3 though. So I then did my own research to figure out how to add it and that led me to a new motherboard. My OS drive is a samsung 850 ssd and I added two more samsung 850 ssd's, striped them together and that raid is my dedicated premiere render/cache location.

[Simon Ubsdell] "what types of media you are typically working with"

Most of the media I work with is from a Sony FS7 camera and it's XAVC-I mode: 4K 23.98P VBR, bit rate 240Mbps. My media lives on an OWC thunderbay 12 terabyte raid. The thunderbay is actually thunderbolt 2 so I have an akitio TB2 to TB3 adapter.

[Simon Ubsdell] "what if anything you would do differently if you were to do it today. Or not."

I wish I had a TB3 raid but at the time I was setting up my system TB3 raids were just getting onto the market and they were very pricey so it wasn't an option. I can't think of anything else that I'd change. I do wish there was a Windows equivalent of Softraid since it's such a good raid monitoring program but after a long search I simply haven't found a windows program that's as thorough as Softraid.

[Simon Ubsdell] "are there applications that you use apart from Premiere that have give you issues?"

Other than the rare random Media Encoder render errors, this system has been very stable. I use Audition, Photoshop and AfterEffects regularly in addition to Premiere and all work without issue.

I think the biggest surprise after having been a dedicated mac user for over 20 years was how much I like working in the Windows environment. And I think a lot of that satisfaction comes from having a system that consistently works and which is very fast and responsive.

- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Dec 10, 2017 at 4:03:45 pm

That's all really interesting and useful info, thanks very much.

We invested in an Asus ROG gaming laptop a while back for using Premiere on the road and it's working ridiculously well - even if it looks a bit ridiculous 😉

We certainly seem to have a lot to thanks gamers for in terms of machines that also work for us.

[greg janza] "I think the biggest surprise after having been a dedicated mac user for over 20 years was how much I like working in the Windows environment."

I think the one thing I will miss though is all the little ancillary utilities that I use everyday without thinking I'm even using them, and which are not always easy to replicate outside of the Mac world.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Dec 10, 2017 at 4:53:41 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "I think the one thing I will miss though is all the little ancillary utilities that I use everyday without thinking I'm even using them, and which are not always easy to replicate outside of the Mac world."

that was one of my concerns initially as well. But since windows is by far the dominant platform worldwide there's a large number of alternative apps and utilities. Even pro res can be created on windows but I've found that the need for anything quicktime related has evaporated due to there being equal if not superior alternative delivery options (i.e., DNxHD).

- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Dec 10, 2017 at 5:29:45 pm

[greg janza] "Even pro res can be created on windows but I've found that the need for anything quicktime related has evaporated due to there being equal if not superior alternative delivery options (i.e., DNxHD)."

An interesting development of course is that Blackmagic have fully licensed ProRes for Fusion 9 which opens up options for Windows users as never before.

As you say, there's really nothing to choose between ProRes and DNxHD (which of course was on the scene quite a bit of time before ProRes ever appeared) - other than that a lot more clients still seem to want ProRes as a deliverable.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Eric Merklein
on Dec 7, 2017 at 5:26:07 pm

Hello Oliver.

I purchased an Asus Rog GR8 with a 500 ssd and 1TB drive, a 1060 Nvidia card on board, and duel quad core processor for $1,000. I added RAM to get to 32 gigs and the system is lightning fast. The thing looks cool and can be picked up with my fingers.

I attached a GLYPH raid stack via USB3 and that works great too.

It seems to me that the ever growing gaming community has spurred development of lower priced, hard as nails PC's.

Gamer's beat the heck out of their computers, so sellers like ASUS have to meet their needs.

Eric

Return to posts index

Olivier Prudhomme
on Dec 8, 2017 at 1:43:35 am

Thx for reply Eric

Do you edit 4K w/o proxies?
And was your set up DIY or you purchased it?

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Dec 8, 2017 at 2:05:39 am

Any 3 GHZ quad core i7 desktop CPU with a mediocre GTX 1060 will edit native 4K Red One, H.264 4K and Pro Res 4K with ease. You can apply several layers and effects with ease. You might have to drop to1/2 or 1/4 resolution to edit in real-time but it is easy to do. If you want to edit 4K Red One R3D files at full resolution the 6 core Coffee Lake and a GTX 1080 Ti might allow you to add multiple effects while still playing back at full 4K resolution. The system in the video is a mediocre 3.4 GHZ Haswell CPU with a GTX 650 Ti for the GPU. Editing native 4K is a non issues unless you want to playback at full resolution.

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Dec 7, 2017 at 11:15:09 pm

Your best bet is to get the i7 8700K Coffee Lake CPU. The K version is money well spent. The GTX 1060 GPU would be the minimum. If you can afford a GTX 1080 Ti go for it. 16 GB of RAM works OK but 32 would be much better. If the case isn't 100% what you want you can trick it out yourself.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Dec 10, 2017 at 5:34:16 pm

To his/her own in regards to platforms.
I tend to lean on both at the same time.
However, I can tell you so many instances where a fast/cheap PC doesn't always relate to a good workflow.
And then I ran into a beast of a system HP Z840 with a K5000 all great when it's running but once something goes wrong, it's not easy to deal with.
PC/Mac user since 1994 here so a lot of experience.
If you cant have both then good luck.

Return to posts index

Olivier Prudhomme
on Dec 10, 2017 at 7:00:56 pm

Unfortunately I can’t afford to rely on both

And what you say about the complexity of solving issues is one of my worries....
I can already see myself on delivery day at 2am sitting in in front of my crashed PC and wondering what is going on?
Hmm.... food for thoughts. Thx

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Dec 10, 2017 at 7:22:14 pm

FWIW- I too shared that fear when I made the move from Mac to pc and that’s why initially I had both systems running simultaneously. I kept my mac in the loop with the thought that if things go haywire with the pc and I can’t figure it out I can fall back on what I Know and know well.

It’s now been over a year and I’ve never had to go back to the mac. I’ve had a few troubleshooting issues along the way with the pc but just with a mac it’s a simple matter of doing your homework to solve them.

I’m sure there’s endless pc horror stories out there but I don’t think it should be a factor in deciding to make the switch.

- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Olivier Prudhomme
on Dec 10, 2017 at 7:51:45 pm

Actually I still have a Mac Back up with my laptop in case things go wild at the last minute
Maybe that’s the peace of mind I need....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]