FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere INSANELY WEIRDLY slow?!?!

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Hannon
Premiere INSANELY WEIRDLY slow?!?!
on Dec 2, 2017 at 5:29:39 am

Hi,

Maybe i'm doing something really stupid here, but please bare with me... thanks in advance.

I am wondering why my brand new 2017 iMac 27", i5, 3.8GHz, 8GB RAM is RIDICULOUSLY SLOWER to load a video project in premiere pro than my old 2014 MacbookAir, i7, 1.7GHz, 8GB RAM?

I have a documentary film I am working on with roughly 28,000 video files on it (a lot I know).

The old Air loads the files to the project in roughly 5 mins.

The new iMac took 20 mins just to load perhaps 2000 of those 28,000 files, I quit after waiting 20 mins, but I am assuming it will take the new iMac about a couple of hours to open the project in premiere?!

They are both connected via USB 3 from the external hardrive that holds all the files?

The only difference I can see is that one is i5 and one is i7

Why is there such a ridiculous lag by my brand new iMac? I am assuming that editing on the iMac will also be this much slower too... So why on earth did I just spend all this money to get a waaaaaaaayyy slower computer?

Can anyone help with where I may be going wrong?? Many thanks...

The Road to Patagonia - A two year surfing odyssey - from the top of the world to the bottom

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Premiere INSANELY WEIRDLY slow?!?!
on Dec 2, 2017 at 5:40:53 am

are they same version of premiere? some people are having import issues with c 2018.

Return to posts index

Matt Hannon
on Dec 2, 2017 at 6:08:13 am

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your fast response mate - appreciated.

No they are not the same version, the 2018 CC told me at the start it had to convert the old CC version from my old Macbook Air to the new 2018 version on my iMac.

I just loaded the whole project (to test) on my old laptop and no worries there - about 7mins or so.

I guess I should just let the project do the imports and conversion to new version of CC? Just let it sit for a few hours???

Obviously i'm backed up on another drive at another site - but I guess I started to freak out when I saw how long it was taking and started wondering if there was something wrong. But its definitely the new machine/CC version.

Did other people just let the conversion take its time over due course? Thanks mate... sorry for the basic understanding on my behalf.

The Road to Patagonia - A two year surfing odyssey - from the top of the world to the bottom

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 3, 2017 at 5:15:22 am

You are cutting a big project on a Macbook Air? Are you crazy?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Dec 2, 2017 at 6:12:12 am

By default your Media Cache is stored on the internal hard drive. This is a different thing than your media files. Is the iMac building a new Media Cache? This might take awhile for over 20,000 files, but should only need to be done once.

Return to posts index

Matt Hannon
on Dec 2, 2017 at 6:17:52 am

Hmmmm... yeah that makes sense.

Sorry I should've attempted a full import first before posting in the forum - I guess I got a bit spooked and was worried something might go wrong with the drive...

I'll try the full import now and will let you know the results (just in case anyone else sees this).

Thanks

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Dec 2, 2017 at 7:40:54 am

with a project that large you should think in terms of putting your renders and cache on another internal ssd drive and not your OS drive.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Matt Hannon
on Dec 3, 2017 at 1:03:30 am

OK - so all my concern was totally unnecessary - the new imac loads the prjoect in about 1 min flat now that the media cache etc has been created. Thanks for the reassurance to those that replied.

Greg - just wondering why you think its important to move all the cache and render files to a different ssd drive? I have about 2TB free on my new iMac.

I'm also wanting to keep costs a low as possible right now and would prefer to spend those few hundred dollars on a RAM upgrade - unless there really is some super important reason to move all the cache and render files to a seperate drive....?

thanks!

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Dec 3, 2017 at 9:04:47 pm

[Matt Hannon] "why you think its important to move all the cache and render files to a different ssd drive? I have about 2TB free on my new iMac."

For maximum premiere efficiency a three drive system is the best setup: internal ssd drive for OS and Apps, secondary internal ssd for renders and cache and external raid for media. And as projects grow in size, the three drive system will only help increase the overall efficiency. But naturally, your media drive/raid needs to be fast as well.

And If you can get your system to 32gigs of ram you'll be fine working with any type of media.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Matt Hannon
on Dec 4, 2017 at 12:37:03 am

Thanks Greg - gonna do the RAM uprgrade today... hopefully it works with these finnicky MAcs!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]