FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trouble Importing - AVCHD and MTS

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lauren Kaiser
Trouble Importing - AVCHD and MTS
on Nov 30, 2017 at 5:22:03 pm

I could really use some help.

I've shot video onto a memory card, I pop the memory card into my computer (using an iMac) and normally what I do is click on the memory card>private>AVCHD. Now typically when I click on AVCHD it brings up thumbnails, I double click the thumbnails, they open in QuickTime and I click file save and I save the files to my computer before importing to premiere and that has worked great for me until today...

Today once I got to the last clip I needed to save it said operation could not be completed. So I went back and this time I did a right click on AVCHD, show package contents, right click on BDMV, Stream. When I do this I see all of the MTS files and the same clip seems to save just fine as a MTS file.

WHY? I'm very confused. I don't know why my normal way didn't work. And to be honest, I don't understand the difference between the two things I tried, what a MTS file really is and how that's different than saving it through quick time? Is there a benefit of doing it one way over the other? If anyone can help me make sense of it I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Lauren

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
Re: Trouble Importing - AVCHD and MTS
on Nov 30, 2017 at 6:05:19 pm

You don't mention what version of the Adobe suite you are using, but I think you are making this way too hard for yourself.

If you edit using Premiere Pro, simply use the Media Browser within the application to import your footage to your bins. Media Browser is familiar with the storage methods used by various manufacturers, and can go straight to the media without you hunting around at all.

My workflow is to copy the original media with all the original folder and files structure into folders within my project structure and import from there.

MTS stands for MPEG Transport Stream. It is generally MPEG-2 or AVCHD compressed video optimized for delivery over IP (internet protocol). It is popular in many cameras due to small file size relative to overall video quality.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2017.1 (as of 8/2017)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from UHD MP4, HD MP4, and HD P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Lauren Kaiser
on Nov 30, 2017 at 7:54:11 pm

The issue isn't really with adobe, it really more about file types and the fact I need to save the files to my computer before working in adobe. The trouble is simply from getting the files from the SD card to the computer itself.

What you said about AVCHD vs. MTS helps a lot though. If I understand correctly, are the MTS files better quality than the AVCHD files?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 30, 2017 at 6:56:03 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Nov 30, 2017 at 6:58:13 pm

I'll second that workflow. Especially the Media Browser part. Once you get used to doing it that way, it's pretty straightforward... and a LOT safer.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Lauren Kaiser
on Nov 30, 2017 at 7:57:36 pm

Thank you for your response! I'll definitely give using the media browser a shot. However I still face the issue of getting the footage off the SD cards, thats the real issue. I need those files to be saved onto my computer before working in premiere.

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Nov 30, 2017 at 8:20:06 pm

Just copy the folder structure from the card to your computer - drag and drop to where you want them - unless I'm missing something?

Ricky

Return to posts index

Lauren Kaiser
on Nov 30, 2017 at 10:30:35 pm

Yes, when I double click on the AVCHD in order to see the files, I do see thumbnails, but you can't drag and drop them. You must open the files individually with QuickTime and save them. However, if I go the other route, once I go through the steps of getting to the MTS files I can drag and drop those. Which brings me back to one of my original questions: What's the difference between the two ways of doing things? Are the MTS files as good as or better than the quick time files.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 1, 2017 at 12:25:27 am
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Dec 1, 2017 at 1:08:23 am

Here you go, step-by step:
  • On your computer's storage unit, create a folder. Give it the EXACT name of the unit holding your original media.
  • Double-click on the unit holding your original media to open it.
  • Select EVERYTHING you see in the now-opened unit.
  • Drag EVERYTHING from that unit to the recently-created folder to copy it to your computer.
  • To ingest this media into your Premiere Pro project, use the Media Browser to navigate to the clips in question, and drag them into the PP project pane or a bin you create in the project to contain them.

No real necessity to transcode. The only reason -- you'd be re-rendering a couple-three generations of the video in the camera-original codec.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
on Dec 1, 2017 at 9:26:05 pm
Last Edited By Ann Bens on Dec 1, 2017 at 9:32:50 pm

You dont need the quicktime files.
Put your card in a card reader, open en copy the entire card to hdd.
The use the Media Browser, navigat to the BDMV file on your computer and click on STREAM to import the mts files.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS2/CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]