FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting 23.976 to PAL?..

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olivier Prudhomme
Exporting 23.976 to PAL?..
on Nov 29, 2017 at 6:53:02 am

My timeline is 23.976 and I need to export 25PAL
In the export window i see the option to change the frame rate to 25.
Is this "all" it takes?

Thx

Los Angeles - TV Promo Editor - FCP - AVID

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
Re: Exporting 23.976 to PAL?..
on Nov 29, 2017 at 8:34:44 pm

If you change the Frame Rate to 25fps in the export window you will run into a couple issues.
The Video will be converted to 25p and not 50i which is usually what Broadcasters want.
Secondly there will be Blended Frames in the Output which will almost certainly fail QC.

One way that does work with some broadcasters is to export the video at 23.976.
Now take the completed video back into Premiere, Interpret it as 25fps and drop it into a 50i Timeline.
The video that gets exported will run 4.1666....% faster and be the same amount shorter.
The Audio will sound slightly chipmunky when compared to the original video.
Also drop it onto MediaInfo to make sure that it is indeed Interlaced.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Olivier Prudhomme
on Nov 29, 2017 at 9:16:13 pm

[Brent Marginet] "The Video will be converted to 25p and not 50i which is usually what Broadcasters want."

my export is not for broadcast but now that you mention "broadcast" I am wondering what's the point to export 25fps if it's to play on the web in europe?....
Do you think this could be a random client request?

[Brent Marginet] "Now take the completed video back into Premiere, Interpret it as 25fps and drop it into a 50i Timeline.
The video that gets exported will run 4.1666....% faster and be the same amount shorter.
The Audio will sound slightly chipmunky when compared to the original video."

This doesn't sound like a good solution if the audio's distorted then, or am I missing something/

Thx for input

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Nov 29, 2017 at 9:36:28 pm

audition has a preserve pitch which imho sounds better than premiere's right click maintain pitch or effect pitch shifter. I think AE has something similar. but he's right, either you change speed or do optical pixel frame change which can cause artifacts as well unless you have a terrenax or something.

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Nov 29, 2017 at 10:25:33 pm

[Olivier Prudhomme] "This doesn't sound like a good solution if the audio's distorted then, or am I missing something/"

I agree, this is not an ideal solution but it is the most common way that 23.976 or 24fps video is converted to 25fps.
The Audio is not really distorted there is just a slight pitch shift and unless your A/Bing them it's not that noticable.
The best hardware solution for conversion is a unit called the Alchemist but you'd have to send it to a conversion house and it would probably be quite expensive.

I also agree about the Frame Rate, it doesn't make sense to convert it to 25fps if it's just for the web.
Lastly if it is for the Web you would definitely want to stay Progressive.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 30, 2017 at 4:55:30 pm

[Olivier Prudhomme] "I am wondering what's the point to export 25fps if it's to play on the web in europe?....
Do you think this could be a random client request? "

Here's my response to that two-part question:

1) There isn't any point to converting 23.976 to 25 for the web. It's frame rate agnostic. But it can't be interlaced -- progressive only.

2) Maybe the client wants the frame rate to be the same with other stuff. Maybe the client intends to broadcast it some time. But it doesn't HAVE to be interlaced -- people broadcast progressive footage all the time. How do you think they get movies on TV? Sure there's 3:2 pulldown for American TV, but you're talking Europe, where it's 25fps already. Heck, in Days Of Yore European broadcasters would just play back 24fps theatrical movies at 25fps, no big deal.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Olivier Prudhomme
on Nov 30, 2017 at 7:42:41 pm

thx Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved