FORUMS: list search recent posts

UPDATING OPERATING SYSTEM and/ or PP VERSION MID PROJECT. Bad Idea ?????????

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Karen Yarosky
UPDATING OPERATING SYSTEM and/ or PP VERSION MID PROJECT. Bad Idea ?????????
on Nov 28, 2017 at 3:00:34 pm

Hello all. I am mid way through editing a large documentary project and my MacBook Pro has started to have different issues (not with PP but other software issues). I have been advised to wipe the computer clean and install an updated operating system (I am behind, presently on OS X Yosemite ... they want to start with El Capitain). Here are my questions: I am aware that changing anything during a project can wreak havoc (which is why I have been scared to change anything ... and am working on a very long project that still has many months to go). Thoughts on whether El Capitain will make a difference this late in the game in terms of interfacing with Premiere Pro (I have read that there are a lot of issues with High Sierra so not touching it ...). ALSO ... I have not done any updates to PREMIERE PRO since I started my project so I am worried that if I have to reinstall all my Adobe applications after I wipe my computer that I will have glitches if I am reinstalling a different version of PP. Yes I am paranoid .. or am I ???? What are your thoughts - for those that have been through this before ..... They do not want me to reinstall with Time Machine so I cannot just pick up where I left off. Is it possible to download an older version of PP? And if so how do I find out exactly which version I am using (when I "get info" on my current PP application it just says Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2017 - I am not sure which version this is). Many thanks and apologies for a lengthy email.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: UPDATING OPERATING SYSTEM and/ or PP VERSION MID PROJECT. Bad Idea ?????????
on Nov 28, 2017 at 3:08:44 pm

You are absolutely correct in your apprehension. You never, EVER make a big OS or software version change in the middle of a project. You're just asking for trouble.

You would be better off just getting a second machine if you need newer software, running the current one as a legacy machine.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Karen Yarosky
Re: UPDATING OPERATING SYSTEM and/ or PP VERSION MID PROJECT. Bad Idea ?????????
on Nov 28, 2017 at 4:35:33 pm

Sadly I do not have the luxury of getting another machine .... I bought this computer specifically to edit this doc (and it is just over 1 year old ...). Any other suggestions? Or am I a slave to this problem?

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Nov 28, 2017 at 5:16:15 pm

I would agree with Dave to avoid updating anything during a project. As far as the specific version of Premiere Pro is concerned, in the main menu select Premiere Pro CC > About Premiere Pro to bring up an info window.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 28, 2017 at 5:16:25 pm

Ma'am, I can only tell you this:

If I had been working on a project for a year, with about another year to go, and my current hardware-software mix is working for this long project, I would change nothing.

The ONLY way I would consider a change is if I had an Adobe software expert plus an IT person qualified on Apple computers by my side (an Apple Store Genius does not qualify).

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Nov 28, 2017 at 6:15:51 pm

your luts will randomly change, color correcting will be flat wrong, effects will be reset, media cache will be incorrect, files will unlink, and that's just for starters. adobe does not make stuff backward compatible.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 28, 2017 at 7:15:00 pm

OK, if you must update, then do the following:

CLONE YOUR CURRENT HARD DRIVE. Get an external hard drive...get CARBON COPY CLONER...and clone your current OS drive to this external. In case ANYTHING goes wrong or haywire with the update, you can use this clone to go back to the working system you had before.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Karen Yarosky
on Nov 28, 2017 at 10:03:00 pm

Many Thanks to all of you for the input. I will keep going with what I have and deal with software issues until the doc is done. MUCH APPRECIATED! Cheers!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]